Views: 14761|Replies: 34

How a Thai Canal Could Transform Southeast Asia   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-20 16:19:52 |Display all floors

How a Thai Canal Could Transform Southeast Asia                                                                                                                                          An idea to build a canal through southern Thailand could have broad geopolitical ramifications.

Kra Isthmus
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

By Ankit Panda
December 01, 2013

Excerpt:
Southeast Asia’s salience as a major strategic nexus for maritime trade is well appreciated. The Strait of Malacca is the doorway from the Indian Ocean to the broader Asia-Pacific region and enables the transport of water-borne crude delivery and other strategic resources to East Asia’s many ports, from Manila to Tokyo. It’s not surprising then, that the idea of a canal through the Kra Isthmus in Thailand has been a topic of interest for seafarers, traders, and geostrategists since roughly the late-17th century.

A glance at Southeast Asian geography, and the merits of such an idea are immediately apparent — doubly so to seafarers. The Kra Isthmus, a mere 44 kilometers at its thinnest point, would render the current necessity for navigating south and around the entire Malaysian peninsula in East-West transit obsolete, connecting the Andaman Sea in the Indian Ocean to the South China Sea. The fuel and time savings wouldn’t be as great as they were in the case of the Panama or Suez canals, but a Thai Canal (also known as the Kra Canal) could assuage some of the overcrowding currently experienced in and near the Strait of Malacca.
So, if the canal is such a great idea, why hasn’t it been built?

Read More ...

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 19:54:54 |Display all floors
not enough canals for a drain rat?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 20:01:07 |Display all floors
its a huge exaggeration to say a canal will change South East Asia in any meaningful way.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 20:26:37 |Display all floors
Forget about ego political ramifications.......

I don't even think it is economically viable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 22:49:22 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-12-20 07:01
its a huge exaggeration to say a canal will change South East Asia in any meaningful way.

IF you consult a decnt map you will see this "thai canal" is just equivalent to the west panama canal which saves travellin time & resources...a great post just dunno why nobody posted before here  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 23:45:28 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2013-12-20 22:49
IF you consult a decnt map you will see this "thai canal" is just equivalent to the west panama ca ...

I know. Rats like to swim in drains.

You think Singapore scared of this Rat?

Go ahead...built the canal.

You think the whole world belongs to Rats? What about the people of Southern Thailand?

You think it is very funny to have a Canal dividing up their country?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 23:47:59 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-12-20 22:38
The canal will be Zhongnanhai's moat.

This is ZhongNanhai's wet dreams.

They think Thailand is a colony of ZhongNanhai.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.