Views: 9984|Replies: 21

What is an Anglo? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-18 17:51:12 |Display all floors
The term Anglo is often used (usually in a derogatory manner) in this forum. I have asked those using the word to define their meaning several times but so far without success. Presumably they don't know.

So the question is "what is an Anglo?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 18:03:06 |Display all floors
An Anglo can be anybody from any race,

Anglo is a prefix indicating a relation to the Angles, England, the English people, or the English language, such as in the term Anglo-Saxon language. It is often used alone, somewhat loosely, to refer to people of British Isles descent in The Americas, New Zealand and Australia. It is also used, both in English-speaking and non-English-speaking countries, to refer to Anglophone people of other European origins. From Wikpedia
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 18:05:56 |Display all floors
I was thinking of a post on this subject. Great minds think alike
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 19:54:35 |Display all floors
An "Anglo" on this forum is anyone who disagrees with the faux-Chinese Nationalists who hail from various south Asian or Middle-Eastern countries.

The term, as used here often in a derrogatory manner, bears no relationship to the current location or origin of those to whom the insult is directed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 19:58:24 |Display all floors
F111 Post time: 2013-12-18 18:03
An Anglo can be anybody from any race,

Anglo is a prefix indicating a relation to the Angles, Engl ...

Ok that is one basic definition, but of course the word is derived from the latin name for England "Anglia" which part of the East coast is still called. Anglia and England both mean land of the Angles, a Germanic people originating in the north German peninsula of Angeln. Confused?

If the term is used to describe English people it becomes even more confusing. England has been invaded and colonised many times in its history. Vikings (Scandinavian), Romans (Latin), Saxon (German) French have all had an input in forming the English language and of course the English race.

If the term is used to describe English speaking westerners then the mix becomes even more complex when you think of the multiculturalism of the UK, Europe and North America.

Let's hear from some the the "Anglo" bashers. Their superior intelligence is welcomed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 20:00:15 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-12-18 19:58
Ok that is one basic definition, but of course the word is derived from the latin name for England ...

I was about to start my research using the universities resources. You beat me too it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-19 07:46:09 |Display all floors
The term 'westerner' used here originally described those persons coming from Europe or Africa.
Therefore, people from the US should be identified as 'easterners' due to the geographical location as viewed from China.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.