Views: 5080|Replies: 12

Should CCTV broadcast more English programs ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-5-10 18:21:34 |Display all floors
With the satellite connection, it is normal for an average TV viewer to surf through tens of channels with quality programming. But one interesting thing to note is many English movie programs have been dubbed into mandarins for the sake of viewers, understandably.

In the face of globalisation which makes the English language a useful tool of survival, and the fervent desire of the locals to learn English, should the country's largest broadcast station consider airing more  English programs in its original language (with subtitles to aid understanding)?

Choices available are not restricted to only movies, but also cartoons, soap operas, sitcoms, TV chat shows, music videos, documentataries, current affairs and many more from countries like Canada, the US, Australia, UK, or even SINGAPORE. These are excellent materials for the locals to learn spoken English, while enjoying the cheapest mode of entertainment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-10 02:44:27 |Display all floors

Bump

Thanks shoesvogue for this bump
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 11:03:54 |Display all floors

Hi~

You may find the info on internet instead of  on TV.
I just know a useful website
http://www.foreignercn.com/cn/index.php
which contains lots of info about China~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 17:06:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hooiluangoh at 2004-5-10 20:21
....should the country's largest broadcast station consider airing more  English programs in its original language (with subtitles to aid understanding)?

Yes, I do think it is better to leave the original language soundtrack, and add subtitles in the local language.

I enjoy non-English language movies on a TV network in Australia. We get TV series and movies from all over the world, all in their original language, with English subtitles.

There's great cop shows in German, movies in Chinese, Japanese and French and various documentaries in all sorts of languages.

The use of subtitles with the original language is not only suitable for picking up a few words of a foreign language, but also helps reading skills in your own language.

JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 23:46:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hooiluangoh at 2004-5-10 18:21
With the satellite connection, it is normal for an average TV viewer to surf through tens of channels with quality programming. But one interesting thing to note is many English movie programs have ...

please, no more australian or British programming..

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

more American TV programs please

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 06:13:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1337assassin at 2007-7-22 01:46

please, no more australian or British programming..

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

more American TV programs please

Yeah, I reckon UK & Aus programmes would be a bit too highbrow for you to understand.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 08:13:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-7-22 06:13

Yeah, I reckon UK & Aus programmes would be a bit too highbrow for you to understand.

honestly.. is anything in Australia "highbrow"

what is considered "highbrow"?

something from an American Highschool level of interest, thats what

Your tv shows are cheap knock-offs of American shows, but they have terrible accents, bad storylines, and are painful to watch

truthfully, if there was good programing I'd be the first to watch it..

but what is this "we have been watching 20 babies since 2000 and we have cameras in their bedrooms and all over the place and watch them 24 hours a day to see how stupid they and their parents are..  "

thats right out of the American "Truman Show"

Americans find that to be unethical.. mr.highbrow..

or what is that other show? Europes next top model or something.. its such a blatent copy of America's Next Top Model.. only with all stupid people...

Mark Burnett is From Australia.  thats a credit to australia.. but I guess all the smart ones leave and go to America

when he left australia it was a 40% brain drain for the nation..

and what is with your chefs?

your cooking shows all suck..

you have some guy who opened a restaurant and goes about preparing each of his own restaurants recipes on tv so that eventually no one will go to his restaurant

you have the worlds most sensitive man on one cooking show that apears to be afraid of the food, and dashes each dish with tears of joy

you have some "Jamie the Barbarian"

who shows us all exactly what cave men used to eat, AND how they ate it...

and what is that "your life in a dish" show?

some famous person that NO ONE in the world has heard of, is going to tell us all how much he loves Hotdogs? Bangers and Mash? or strawberry jam on top of cheese sandwiches? or whatever other food 6 year old children like.. and then have a certified nutcase cook it for him?

the only show I found at all interesting was the one where the couple was spending all the money they had to open a small business

your other tv shows are just boring me to death

I feel like an idiot is trying to teach me something stupid on every show..

American shows are funny and entertaining, and enjoyable to watch, relaxing, and let your unwind at the end of a hard days work

British and Australian tv shows are quite a chore to watch, and they arent funny at all

they are super stuffy and arrogant and pretentious. "high browism" is fake, pretentious garbage that tries to hide the fact that they are not interesting, funny, or even likeable people

and they seem to be trying to change the worlds Ideas...

they honestly look down upon the rest of the world

it is obvious from their programming how stupid they think the rest of the planet is

and they're gay to boot

but at least most are not super gay like most American shows,

alot of american shows are written and directed by gay men, with a gay agenda

even ones that have nothing to do with gay people

[ Last edited by 1337assassin at 2007-7-22 01:43 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.