Author: sunnylin01

Is it ok to charge foreigners more than locals?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-11-16 13:42:34 |Display all floors

Yes, it´s unfair.

It´s true that in many countries the over price to foreigners exists but in China is really akward and sometimes it´s a scandal..

Starting from the visa issued in Chinese Consulates abroad. If the holder has a UE or US passport the price for the visa is 2 or 3 times more higher than non Western countries to the taxi drivers.

In China I really had hard times about this overcharge. The only place i feel i paid a fair price is in the supermarket where the prices are tagged and i get out the store without the feeling of been cheated

In unnumbered times before to get into a shop, my wife suggested to wait outside because even being with her the Chinese shops try to take advantage of us. she deals well but it cost time, energy and an unpleasant time.

Most of taxi drivers are thieves when it´s about to provide their services to the foreigners, I have several stories about it but i don´t want to tell more now because everybody knows how they work.

The last year I was in Geneve, Madrid, Panama and Brazil, this year in Miami and Toronto and I didn´t experience any problem in over price but as soon i got to a local airport in China the taxi driver complained because my house is near the airport and he expected a long ride, so to calm his anger i had to pay extra money. No consideration, no respect, all it´s about money.

About the pictures in the first post, 65 yuans for a panckake, the vendor is not greedy, he is an open public thief.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-16 13:45:58 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-11-16 13:26
You're either a homely biatch or a greasy fag. Either way I'm not interested.

I´m the guy who always make you feel speechless in a serious debate and make you release your inner dumby.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-11-16 13:52:33 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-11-15 21:45
I´m the guy who always make you feel speechless in a serious debate and make you release your in ...

Serious debate..

There are no serious debates involving western propagandists such as you.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-16 14:50:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Truth_update at 2013-11-16 14:51
bravos Post time: 2013-11-16 10:35
If overcharging happens in Western countries, I'm sure the peddler will be riddled with bullet holes ...

If overcharging happens in Western countries
There is no need to broadcast your ignorance. Yes, staying silent is best policy if don't know what you are saying.

If you park your car in your car own private space, and the man/woman in uniform still give you a ticket for owning a car, won't you call that overcharging?

The BBC charges its dopey Brits £145 TV license fees each year, which translates to roughly £4.5 billion for its government mouthpiece. It matters not if you watch their program or not. The UK law states that if you own a TV or a cable-connected gadget that can receive BBC program, you are liable to pay the BBC fees.
It just happens 1 in 10 Brits with TV/computers never tunes into the BBC, but they are still taken to the courts and prosecuted.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-16 15:07:27 |Display all floors
These dumb Anglos here are preaching to the Chinese about street peddlers cheating them, whence their own UK government's little propaganda dog, the BBC are stealing from them right before their very eyes.

Ignorance yes?
Yes!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-16 15:13:03 |Display all floors
Further reading on the article.

9 in 10 (that's 90% for the uneducated Anglos here) of foreigners in the UK never watch any BBC programs, but they are still prosecuted for watching CCTV China, TVB or Aljazeera Arabic, etc., on their cable TVs.
Now that's British injustice they call Common Law.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-16 17:02:32 |Display all floors
The last paragraph says it all;

Pancake stalls in the Mutianyu Great Wall Scenic Area of Beijing became the focal point of the media after visitors to the area said the stalls were pricing their pancakes according to customers' nationality.

The Beijing Times reported that a German visitor refused to accept the banana chocolate pancake he ordered after the vendor charged him 65 yuan on Wednesday. A dispute arose when the vendor insisted that the German visitor buy his food because "it was made to order." Police were called to solve the issue.

Reporters found that the pancakes went for 15 yuan to Chinese customers.

The vendor said that food sold to foreigners is more expensive because it is "tailor-made" according to their taste. There also were small price tags in English asking for 65 yuan per pancake at the counter window, though they were inconspicuous.

Lawyers said pricing discrimination goes against the Law on Protection of Consumer Rights and Interests, and should be punished by industrial and commerce authorities.
I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one. George Bernard Shaw. Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one. Winston

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.