Author: Steve_lin

Would you buy a car that's made in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-11-6 05:32:11 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-11-5 10:15
Very lucky. After 6 years the door panels of that '74 Ford Pinto were hanging on by rusting thread ...

I see your a also a car nut....
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-11-6 10:32:36 |Display all floors
snappysammy Post time: 2013-11-5 13:32
I see your a also a car nut....

You must have a car in the US to survive. Just one more tax put on the poor so the rich can keep getting richer.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-11-6 16:52:53 |Display all floors
Bombay_plumber Post time: 2013-11-5 18:09
But you have never driven an Indian car before have you?

No, most probably you won't be able to a ...

Land Rover and Jaguar may be owned by an Indian but none of the design, engineering or manufacturing is undertaken in India and probably never will be.  The facts are that JRL do all of their design work and manufacture in the UK with a probability that there will be a Chinese plant in the future.  The holding company that owns JRL is based in Singapore, not India and there is no connection with Tata Motors India at any level other than being part of the same group.

Oh I own a couple of Land Rovers by the way and have owned Jaguars and a Rolls Royce in the past. Now let me guess, you drive a Hindustan Ambassador?
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-11-6 17:00:50 |Display all floors
Chinese car brands have a long way to go in terms of engineering and safety.  Cherry, and Great Wall have both got vehicles on sale in Australia as well as several other companies and most fare very badly in collision tests. Cherry had their approval revoked until they sorted out adequate protection for side impacts and other safety issues. Great Wall have had major issues with build quality and braking problems and at least one recall I can remember.

I had a close look at a Great Wall "ute" (pickup) a few months ago, it's design is at least 6-8 years behind current western practice and despite it's cheap price it's not great value for money.  Volkswagen are now retailing at least one Chinese built model and even that was subject to a partial recall due to build quality issues.

As I view it, Chinese vehicles need another few years to lift their game and get with it, they are about on par with Korean Cars from 20 years ago in terms of quality, that is not great. Korea lifted it's game over a 5-6 year period and Chinese manufacturers can do the same if they are prepared to spend the time and money doing so.

In the future I'll be only too happy to buy a small commuter from a Chinese manufacturer, but I'll stick with my Land Rovers for serious off road and long haul travelling.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-11-6 17:53:10 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-11-6 17:50
I think you are mistaken!
The design and metal bashing bits are under the Indians scrutiny, and ar ...

[url=][/url]

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-11-6 17:55:20 |Display all floors

[url=][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-6 18:05:22 |Display all floors

Not the case. JRL is outside of direct Tata Motors control. They've spend close on 2 billion on new plant and design offices in the UK. The Indian operations are entirely seperated and there's nil manufacturing done there according to friends who are in the LR design team.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.