Views: 10557|Replies: 49

Is everyone guilty of corruption in China?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-10-30 08:52:49 |Display all floors

Corruption, as a matter of fact, has become a way of life in China, It has been so closely woven into our life patterns that often we are hardly aware or even completely unaware of it. We turn to guanxi, a network of connections, believing it is the best way to get work done. Just think: Didn't we ever bribe the traffic police to avoid punishment? Didn't we ever bribe the headmaster to send the kids to a desirable school? Aren't these instances of bribery as well? Or are they too trival to be considered so?  

(CNN) Chinese public opinion surveys identify corruption as the most hated social problem, yet everyone is also guilty of it.

Last year, when my father fell seriously ill, we took him to a decent hospital close by but were told the beds were fully occupied. As always, we turned to our guanxi -- our network of connections -- for help.

Fortunately, a relative, a not so senior but well-connected official, managed to secure a private room at the hospital, which is reserved for ranking leaders. In return, the relative agreed to get the son of the hospital director into the most desirable school in Nanjing.

I became aware the weight of guanxi shortly after I was thrust into adulthood: At 16 I was dragged out of the school to work at a military rocket factory.

Two months later, when Spring Festival came, my mother requested that I visit my boss' home with gifts she had prepared. Naive and embarrassed, I refused. Mother angrily predicted: "You'll never go far in life if you don't know how to la guanxi!" The verb la means to pull or to develop. Sure enough, I never got any promotion during my decade-long stint at the factory even though I acquired a degree in mechanical engineering.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-30 09:34:50 |Display all floors
sorry to hear your tale. that is bad guanxi for sure. Experienced similar things in my life too.. in various places. when this becomes the norm, society loses self-respect.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-10-30 10:02:39 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-10-30 09:34
sorry to hear your tale. that is bad guanxi for sure. Experienced similar things in my life too.. in ...

If ordinary people participate in bribery, it is the system to be blamed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-30 10:03:49 |Display all floors
Is everyone guilty of corruption in the American ?.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-30 10:14:35 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2013-10-30 12:02
If ordinary people participate in bribery, it is the system to be blamed.

yes, that means the system has to be changed by the people at the top. it cannot happen overnight or suddenly, but if it is made a priority by the top leaders and action taken and everyone can see action being taken, the ordinary people also will change. that is the key - what priority the top leaders give to this issue. From what I see or hear or read about China, it is on the right track. Compare and contrast to India where the top most leaders are actively trying to protect the corrupt after the courts have issued orders!! I wish the next elections bring less corrupt people into power in India too.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-10-31 09:24:25 |Display all floors
zjjhpj Post time: 2013-10-29 18:03
Is everyone guilty of corruption in the American ?.

It's the same if not worse in the USA. If you are born poor you'll stay poor.
Of course there are a few exceptions that the rich showcase to make it seem as if hard work
will get you ahead but that is part of the old "carrot on the stick" routine the capitalists of the
west have made an art of. For every rag to riches poster boy you hear about in the west
there are thousands who work equally hard who never make it out of the lower classes.
Corruption is the basis of the capitalist system. The rich masters manipulate the poor wage slaves.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-31 10:32:03 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-31 09:24
It's the same if not worse in the USA. If you are born poor you'll stay poor.
Of course there are  ...

I don't agree with this simplification that if you are born poor you'll stay poor. Poverty in the US is mostly based on a lack of education. You could say that people without money don't have the drive and facilities to pursue a full education, but I have no doubt that anybody could work up a decent life if they gained sufficient education/qualifications, and that doesn't have to be from a top tier school. Of course this moreso applies to normal times when the economy is stable.
This is not so true for China. An education does not have the benefits carried in Western countries. The Chinese economy is booming but it is extremely difficult for the average graduate to find a decent job without the proper connections.
When most of the world says you're wrong, then it's probably true

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.