Views: 5111|Replies: 3

New Toy arriving January [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-10-15 21:45:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2013-10-15 21:49

After months of waiting Meade today informed the shop I am purchasing my new toy through that the scope should hit Australian shores in mid January.  Talk about perfect timing, just in time for the galaxy hunting season.

Meade 12" (304.75mm diameter) F8 Aplanatic (coma free), ACF optical system which is a form of Schmidt Cassegrain. Using starlock which is a twin CCD guiding system that finds and locks on a guidestar to ensure accurate tracking. I opted not to get the equatorial wedge as I am having a far heavier duty unit made in Sydney based on the old ulti-wedge design which is probably the best wedge ever made for equatorially mounting an SCT.

lx600-12-profile-right.jpg

Ulti-Wedge.jpg

The ulti-wedge

Needless to say I will be adding some new eyepieces to the collection and a whole new collection of bits ranging from solar filters, anti dew heaters and power supplies, a few new eyepieces to compliment the existing collection and so on. Another big black hole to suck money in to oblivion has been opened.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-28 23:35:23 |Display all floors
Hi Ratfink, I am most envious of your scope. It's six and a half inches bigger than the one I cut my teeth on, and I am still dreaming. I hope you will share with us some of the images you end up capturing. Back when I had my setup, there was film and I had a darkroom and enlarger. It's funny, the only image I managed to get posted on the TPS website was when I strapped a 35mm to the side of the scope and made a time exposure of the milky way.

The day I stop learning will be the day I die. Maybe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-12 09:00:27 |Display all floors
sorry for my absense. I moved to Fuzhou and that took a couple of months to get settled.
I love your new toy

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-12 20:55:18 |Display all floors
GOOD NIGHT, ALL SIRS ABOVE MINE。
I OBSERVE THE SKY IN AN OLD WAY。
I AM FROM AN ONLY ANCIENT CHINA。
SUNSET = HUMAN FATE

Use magic tools Report

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.