Author: Smaug

USA or China: Which is a "better" country to live these days?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-16 04:15:34 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-10-14 13:49
I think you have rushed to make a political statement in reply to a personal observation.

By alw ...

I didn't take ross-chang's response as politically-motivated. He had nothing to gain by saying it. I think it was simply his opinion on why the elderly in China glared at me.

It may have also been because I was holding hands with a Chinese woman, and they don't like the idea of mixed relationships.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 04:26:17 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2013-10-14 13:55
I doubt these two points.
China's economic growth might be higher - but that only means that it's  ...
Food quality is much lower, imports are over-regulated, the living environment is of lower quality and you can't get the cosmopolitan experience that US cities (or cities like Hong Kong or Singapore) offer you.

I think the food is of better quality in China. Everything is fresher, and seems to be more free of artificial stuff and other chemicals. The US adds preservatives, uses refrigeration more, but China just keeps the animals alive longer, so these things aren't necessary. (advantage = China!) One probably has to watch more for bugs and cleanliness of the food, but once that has been done, it's better. As for the cosmopolitan experience, that just comes with money. One can have pretty deluxe living arrangements in any big city in China. Or, one can take the money that requires, and build a REALLY nice place in the countryside.

China's upsides are much different:
In China, you have a unique culture full of people with a "can-do" mindset. A great place for trying out new innovative business models! US-Americans are often driven by fear and doubts. Moreover, they often don't want to work that hard and want a good "work-life-balance" (outside of Wallstreet, at least) - not quite the kind of person you'd like to employ in your young business. Those smart Americans who want to work hard are so expensive, no innovative young company can afford them.

I agree. ^

Also, China's education level is so low that it is far less competitive.

I disagree. China values education pretty highly. 9 year old kids there spend HOURS per day doing homework, and take extra classes on evenings and weekends. They may not be as creative, but they will have real marketable skills. It is true there are uneducated people, but the people who score high enough to go to college do really well. My fiancé is the first in her family to go to school. Her family were previously farmers, before the gov't "ate" her hometown to expand the city. Now, she is doing great, due to her great work ethic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 04:27:41 |Display all floors
Boilermaker21 Post time: 2013-10-14 16:17
China is neither better or worse than the USA. Just different. There are aspects of the USA that I p ...

Yes, I know. That's why "better" was in quotes. I was asking just for your personal opinion on where you'd rather live, if you had the choice and was hoping for some good discussion as to why.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 04:28:58 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-10-14 17:03
I've been to New York, but I'd prefer my home country

If you get a chance to visit Chicago, please drop me a line. We can meet up for a day or two, and I'll show you the sights. Chicago is friendlier and cleaner than New York.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 04:30:43 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-10-14 18:34
But they detest Westerners.

Not really. More and more lately, Chinese women LIKE westerners because they are more respectful of them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 04:32:09 |Display all floors
pantarhei Post time: 2013-10-14 19:46
I'm afraid the answer is Europe.

Hmmm. Too bad it wasn't an option. Go and start your own thread, then someone will complain that South America or Scandanavian countries weren't on the poll. ;)

Europe's got its own share of problems these days.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 07:56:21 |Display all floors
raton Post time: 2013-10-16 01:24
Must be something in the Chinese women that western prefer

Undoubtedly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.