Author: funnywoman

Ten years of cultural revolution: From passion to depression   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-3 13:52:43 |Display all floors
funnywoman Post time: 2013-9-28 23:40
It is twisted time in Chinese history, with few people willing to remember.

The car is red. I am not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-3 13:58:11 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-10-2 03:19
"...destroyed hundreds of millions of Chinese lives..." Tsk, tsk, you forgot the meaning of "milli ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-3 14:00:00 |Display all floors
I've heard that there was also a lot of violence during the Cultural Revolution. In Chongqing, at least, there were some groups of students fighting each other for control.
Of course, the photos show a whitewashed version of the story.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-3 14:38:26 |Display all floors
Few people ever bother with those few short years
many young ones were born many years later
they're rich today and care little about those years
older ones, some have fond memories,
others not bothered and remember little about those years
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-3 18:45:11 |Display all floors
correction Post time: 2013-10-3 16:38
Few people ever bother with those few short years
many young ones were born many years later
they're ...

Its a lot like periods that other countries went through of internal struggle. Other countries went through longer periods of things like slavery and ending in a four year civil war in the USA. The British civil wars lasted much longer 1638-60.. India had a long spell of different kingdoms fighting each other-many initiated by the British in a planned manner to get them all under one British rule. All such wars and revolutions are invariably violent and shed a lot of blood. Atleast then, most people actually fought or had a chance to defend themselves and died. Now, entire populations and hundreds of thousands are just bombed and killed even if they are non-participants..
Countries move on and dont dwell too much on the negatives, pick up the positives and build on that. Looks like China has done that too and is prospering now. Good for China!

Human history is not pretty, but there are pretty good lessons to learn from it.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-3 23:56:44 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-10-3 02:45
Its a lot like periods that other countries went through of internal struggle. Other countries wen ...

In the US at least we learn a little about the negatives. From what I've heard, many Chinese know nothing about the negative things that happened during the Cultural Revolution.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-4 06:18:06 |Display all floors
SoCalChevy Post time: 2013-10-4 01:56
In the US at least we learn a little about the negatives. From what I've heard, many Chinese know  ...

Perhaps we dont know what most of the Chinese know or dont know about their revolution. Many westerners dont know what really was their own history - it has been glossed over or revised to rationalize many unspeakable crimes..
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.