Views: 3996|Replies: 11

Cynical photo series shows Disney princesses living unhappily ever after [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-7 14:26:30 |Display all floors
Fairy tales would have you believe that every princess has a happy ending, but one photographer's striking series challenges that notion.
Fallen Princesses, a project by Vancouver, Canada-based photographer Dina Goldstein, shows Snow White, Jasmine, Pocahontas and other iconic characters succumbing to tragic fates including cancer, alcoholism and unhappy marriages.
'My Fallen Princesses series was born out of deep personal pain, when I raged against the "happily ever after" motif we are spoon fed since childhood,' explains the Tel Aviv, Israel-born photographer.

Unhappy ending: Fallen Princesses, a project by Canadian photographer Dina Goldstein, shows iconic characters having succumbed to tragic fates, including cancer, alcoholism and unhappy marriages

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 14:27:09 |Display all floors
Ms Goldstein told Cargoh.com that she was inspired to create the images when her daughter first became interested in princesses, and her mother was diagnosed with cancer shortly thereafter.

'The two events collided and made me wonder what a princess would look like if she had to battle a disease, struggle financially or deal with aging,' she said.

More...•Portraits of a painted lady: Stunning vintage photographs reveal the 'tramp stamp' is not such a modern phenomenon after all
•'How was I going to sell a plump girl?' Late artist's fears for his adorably clumsy plus-size pin-up who broke the Fifties mold

'I began to imagine what could happen to the princesses later in life and after the happily ever after. Naturally they would have to deal with challenges that all modern women face.'
Indeed, she explains her first idea was to depict a modern Rapunzel, who had lost all her precious hair to chemo.
The image shows Rapunzel looking forlorn as she sits on a hospital bed, clutching her long blond locks that have been fashioned into a wig.

Inspiration: Ms Goldstein came up with the idea when two events happened simultaneously in her life: her daughter became interested in princesses, and her mother was diagnosed with cancer

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 14:27:30 |Display all floors

Sad fate: A dark image of Cinderella shows her sitting with her head down in a dingy bar, holding a shot glass as a group of men look on

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 14:28:04 |Display all floors

Obesity epidemic: The modern version of Little Red Riding Hood is more plump than little. She is pictured in the woods sipping on a large fountain drink and cradling a picnic basket of fast food

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 14:28:48 |Display all floors

Modern times: A buxom Belle is being nipped and tucked by surgeons in her jarring portrait

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 14:29:11 |Display all floors

Pollution: The photographer shot her images in various locations around Vancouver, including a landfill, where one model perched atop a stack of mattresses for her Princess and the Pea interpretation

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 14:29:46 |Display all floors

Disturbing: The photographer said she hopes her thought-provoking images will stir the emotions of viewers

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.