Views: 3889|Replies: 12

The most disgusting dishes - I [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-8-2 13:49:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2013-8-2 14:06

I dare you to try even one of these truly vomit inducing dishes. Between the fried spiders, baby mice and cobra hearts you are sure to find something that will either cause you to wretch or run screaming.

Road Trip Cambodia: Itsy Bitsy Spiders

013.jpg

In Cambodia the habit of eating fried tarantulas began during a period of starvation in history, but nowadays they are considered to be quite a delicacy.

Balut, Phillippines

022.jpg

Balut is a “snack” consisting in a half-fertilized duck or chicken egg, served with a little salt after being boiled. One can find it all over the streets and markets of Philippines, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia and it is as popular as hotdogs are in the US.

Snake and Scorpion Wine

032.jpg

This unusual type of liquor can be found in Asia mostly and it is made out of a dipping Cobra or scorpion into a rice wine bottle. After a few months of fermentation, the venom is dissolved and the drink is good to serve!

Cobra Heart, Vietnam

042.jpg

In Vietnam one can serve a live cobra’s heart: some eat it raw, along with a cobra blood chaser while others prefer to have it with some rice wine.

Baby Mice Wine

062.jpg

Traditional in China and Korea, baby mice wine is considered to be a “health tonic”. The confessed taste: raw gasoline. While still alive, newborn mice are thrown into bottles full of rice wine and left there to ferment.

Casu Marzu, Sardinia

072.jpg

This is a type of cheese that few people would try, as it is stuffed with insect larva. Often referred to as “maggot cheese”. It is consumed while the living beings inside it are still alive, otherwise it is said to be toxic.

Kopi Luwak, Indonesia

082.jpg

This is the rarest and most expensive coffee in the world, but still you might want to reconsider it, when someone politely invites you to sip from a mug full of it. Why? Because it is made out of the excrements of a creature that resembles a cat, called the Luwak.

Tuna Eyeball

092.jpg

Usually served in Japan and China, the tuna eyeball is another weird dish that might not be for everyone’s taste. They say it tastes much better than it looks.

Rocky Mountain Oysters

102.jpg

One might be tempted to think that these oysters can’t be much different from the ones you find at the bottom of the ocean, while they are, in fact, something totally different. A buffalo’s fried testicles got this name because it sounds more fancy. Best way to cook: peel, boil, roll into flour mixture and fry.

Contd.....II

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-8-2 13:55:33 |Display all floors
You are right, disgusting.

how the hell?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-2 14:31:28 |Display all floors
It really made me want to eat nothing

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-8-2 14:33:03 |Display all floors
webandsystem Post time: 2013-8-2 14:31
It really made me want to eat nothing

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-8-2 23:47:22 |Display all floors
I've eaten a couple of the items listed, though I must say warm snake salad in Vietnam is probably worse than drinking the blood (which I've done).  Balut is vomit inducing though and one of a handful of foods that I can't stomach.

Be glad that Papua New Guinea's infamous Bird Spider isn't on your local menu... BARF!
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-3 15:29:16 |Display all floors
Best thread to look at while fasting.{:soso_e119:}
America, land of the ignorant home of the war criminals.
China, land of the fake, home of the delusional.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-3 15:34:46 |Display all floors
mus_ne Post time: 2013-8-3 15:29
Best thread to look at while fasting.

Are You ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.