Author: UYA

Chinese "patriots" friend or foe?   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-6-1 02:18:55 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2014-5-31 21:40
Hey boy, you can come and play with my little brother, he feels a bit let down just.

Warn him he'll need tweezers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-1 23:00:34 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2014-5-31 21:40
Hey boy, you can come and play with my little brother, he feels a bit let down just.

Oh, look.. slimpanda is back.. *YAWN*

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-2 20:12:50 |Display all floors
there is a lot of immature behavior on the web. best to ignore them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 18:04:01 |Display all floors
There is a real issue with this 'negative nationalism' (which is no nationalism at all) and lots can be said about it,
however,
it looks like this topic degenerated into a terrible playground battle and so maybe I will save my thoughts for later and elsewhere.

But yes this is a real problem with far too many Chinese - showing 'Patriotism' by belittling and hating 'the others'.
Of course, they very problem is they don't show any actual pride in their own nation. They just insult something about some other nations.
These types do more harm and bring more shame on China than any foreigner ever could.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-10 15:46:42 |Display all floors
what you see on the web represents the attitude of a very small percentage of chinese people. i do admit that the worst insults have been thrown to me by chinese strangers online. but in real life it is different. to get to know people, it's not enough to just talk to them online, you would need to live in the country for a while.

for example, the anti-japanese nationalism we've seen in the english language news media doesn't reflect the whole of china. other than old people who witnessed the japanese burning of chinese towns and other atrocities, no young chinese that i have met hate japan, they even admire japan, and unreasonably, i might add. ...so the claim that the chinese have been brainwashed by their government to hate the japanese, is false. for one, they don't hate the japanese. if anything, the japanese hate the chinese more. ...you know the saying, those who have done you harm will never forgive you.

but even old chinese people don't have any thoughts of revenge against japan, however, they warn the younger ones to stay away from that country. rarely do the young people listen though...

and there are those young chinese people don't show any outward patriotism, but they do love china, and they are very proud of china. just because they can't express it to you in english, doesn't mean they don't feel it.

what i actually don't get is the shame the chinese people feel for having suffered destruction and loss, the 100 years of humiliation, they call it, is it. i forget. chinese people did nothing wrong, they should feel no shame. my grandparents fled the japanese invasion, but even though they had to leave china, they were always very proud to be chinese. it was not arrogance, but pride.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-17 21:46:17 |Display all floors
I agree

Use magic tools Report

Elite Member

Snowipine

Glod Medal Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-7-18 11:36:16 |Display all floors
cruising Post time: 2014-7-10 15:46
what you see on the web represents the attitude of a very small percentage of chinese people. i do a ...

History is history, Chinese people wouldn't  forget the bitter humiliating historical experiences, and  they are not so narrow-minded in interpreting history especially modern history and dealing with the current foreign affairs.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.