Author: blackielau

Hainan, the American Spy Plane, was in Chinese Airspace. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-5-11 11:42:15 |Display all floors

Below, is an article comment from Lau Guan Kim ( see the +++ section )

Lau Guan Kim 2004-05-08 08:10

Spy plane incident: April 1, 2001

Arising from this incident, and in view of modern aerial technology, the 200-mile limit showed the inadequacy of such international maritime demarcation. Whatever it was,

++++"the E-3 spy plane had no business to be so near China"+++++

as this was a brew for political and diplomatic disaster in Sino-US relations a year after the bombing of the Chinese embassy.

At issue was whether Wang Wei, the Chinese jet pilot swerved into the E-3's path or the E-3 swerved into the fast Chinese jet?

On the Chinese side they showed pictures of the E-3 then parked in Hainan after it was crippled. They suggested the spy plan swerved into the fast Chinese jet. From this, it was suggested the speed of the jet was unable to avoid the mid air collision.

The Americans on the other hand suggested there was a recklessness of the Chinese pilot who flew too close to the spy plane. Because of the jet's speed, a side collision was unavoidable.

So the arguments went to and fro. The compensation of some US$ 34,567 by the Americans made matters worse.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-11 11:45:13 |Display all floors

I will try to find posts from the other 4, but they all said similar things

And many others of us said the same thing, what was it doing there.

We are all sure it was inside Chinese Airspace but that is not as important as what was it doing in Chinese Airspace.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-11 12:30:39 |Display all floors

UN convention on the law of the sea

The US clearly violated UN convention Article 58. (3). US spy plane should not be within 200 miles of Chinese coast, if it is, it should follow Chinese law.

check out the document and read the parts pasted below.

http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/unclos_e.pdf

Article55

Specific legal regime of the exclusive economic zone

The exclusive economic zone is an area beyond and adjacent to the territorial sea, subject to the specific legal regime established in this Part, under which the rights and jurisdiction of the coastal State and the rights and freedoms of other States are governed by the relevant provisions of this Convention.

Article56

Rights, jurisdiction and duties of the coastal State in the exclusive economic zone

1. In the exclusive economic zone, the coastal State has:

(a) sovereign rights for the purpose of exploring and exploiting, conserving and managing the natural resources, whether living or non-living, of the waters superjacent to the seabed and of the seabed and its subsoil, and with regard to other activities for the economic exploitation and exploration of the zone, such as the production of energy from the water, currents and winds;

(b) jurisdiction as provided for in the relevant provisions of this Convention with regard to:

(i) the establishment and use of artificial islands, installations and structures;

(ii) marine scientific research;

(iii) the protection and preservation of the marine environment;

(c) other rights and duties provided for in this Convention.

2. In exercising its rights and performing its duties under this Convention in the exclusive economic zone, the coastal State shall have due regard to the rights and duties of other States and shall act in a manner compatible with the provisions of this Convention.

3. The rights set out in this article with respect to the seabed and subsoil shall be exercised in accordance with Part VI.

Article57

Breadth of the exclusive economic zone

The exclusive economic zone shall not extend beyond 200 nautical miles from the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured.

Article58

Rights and duties of other States in the exclusive economic zone

1. In the exclusive economic zone, all States, whether coastal or land-locked, enjoy, subject to the relevant provisions of this Convention, the freedoms referred to in article 87 of navigation and overflight and of the laying of submarine cables and pipelines, and other internationally lawful uses of the sea related to these freedoms, such as those associated with the operation of ships, aircraft and submarine cables and pipelines, and compatible with the other provisions of this Convention.

2. Articles 88 to 115 and other pertinent rules of international law apply to the exclusive economic zone in so far as they are not incompatible with this Part.

3. In exercising their rights and performing their duties under this Convention in the exclusive economic zone, States shall have due regard to the rights and duties of the coastal State and shall comply with the laws and regulations adopted by the coastal State in accordance with the provisions of this Convention and other rules of international law in so far as they are not incompatible with this Part.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-11 12:40:21 |Display all floors

Way to go, your the man.

Good Stuff.

About time too.

Thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-12 15:20:38 |Display all floors

damn, this turned into a warzone

I think chairman is under disguise, as others have pointed out to me on other posts.  
I suppose anytime I see someone with a long response and only 2 posts to their credit, I will assume it's chairman.  

"On the Chinese side they showed pictures of the E-3 then parked in Hainan after it was crippled. They suggested the spy plan swerved into the fast Chinese jet. From this, it was suggested the speed of the jet was unable to avoid the mid air collision."
I guess this proves my last theory, the chinese need more training.

Hedan, who is whitebread?  Is it wholegrain, which is chairman?  And of course ur trying to piss him off...too funny if i'm right..

I'm so glad we could all agree the chinese fighter was reckles and needs more training.  

How nice!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-13 13:05:36 |Display all floors

To mikeghet: shifting the subject won't help.

Can you respond to my arguement or not?

Trying to discredit my arguement by guessing who I am, and shifting subject to pilot training won't help you.

1. You can't refute my assertion the US violated UN convention on the law of the sea which it is a signitory. Having said that we can go further.

2. You accusation of me being "chairman" is groundless. Show me your evidence. It's only a sign of despair---nothing substantial to say but puffing hot air.

3. Training? US pilot should be trained to respect Chinese air space, how about that as a starter?

4. Your infantile behavior only proves that my arguement is beyond any of the defense, even excuses you could put up. Admit that, then you may start to learn something.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-15 00:21:54 |Display all floors

hedan ( self confessed Head Jackal )

To hedan
Subject: Every second writer is chairman
Every writer who defends the chinese must be chairman.
If hedan is a loser in a contest, it must have been chairman

As mentioned by a few posters, you use every chance you get to BAIT and HOOK for chairman, you have done so for nearly one month.

As the ultimate in cowards, that you are hedan and as the ultimate in those that hurl insults onto or at China.

May I be the one to risk being thrown off the forum and point out to you.

You have MUTED chairman, you did it yourself.

You have placed a GAG in chairmans mouth, you did it yourself.

You tied the arms and legs of chairman and placed a GAG in his mouth and then DARE him to come and fight with you, hedan the unltimate coward.

I hate to be the one to tell you hedan, but chairman is worth 100 of you.

chairman loves the Chinese and will defend them to the death, but it is hard to defend when you have been SILENCED.

So keep going hedan, keep trawling for chairman, using every trick of the coward that you are so good at.

Until the RULES are changed, that allow the Chinese side to attack the cowards and China insulters, such as you hedan, I do not think you will ever see chairman write again and a few others as well.

end

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.