Author: china.pm

[Original]How to find a foreign teacher? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-3 15:40:55 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-7-3 14:39
I did not realize there was a written English for formal and informal occasion... The argument "I' ...

My word you still don't have a clue right? Of course there are times when you have to use formal and less formal languages. I remember when I was a freshman back in college, my first year English professor was this really nice guy who went to college at Stanford and got his PhD from Princeton. And when he sent us emails (which obviously is an informal way of communicating) he used quite a few abbreviations, which, strictly speaking, are grammatically incorrect. I think people who are sociable enough understand when to apply formality to their language and when to drop that dead boring seriousness to be approachable.

If we all speak and write like someone who works for the British Parliament, where public speaking or official documents are characterized by extremely elaborate grammatical structures and a string of fancy vocab, then we'll find ourselves in a rather troublesome situation. Where one word would be enough to convey your message you'd use a fairly long sentence, and that may not even get across what you're trying to say.

And don't you confuse us with the matter of respect. If you speak like the Queen to a seven year old schoolboy, I doubt that he'll appreciate it.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 15:49:23 |Display all floors
I did not realize there was a written English for formal and informal occasion... The argument "I' ...

"How the hell am I supposed to trust a teacher whose stance is 'it's ok to be an idiot outside of class' ?"

So your idea is that anyone who puts "should of" rather than "should have" on an obscure social networking site is an IDIOT?? What an incurably idiotic theory is that?

And to clarify, I DIDN'T say it's ok for an English TEACHER to write "should of" to their students in class. I said it's OK for people whose native tongue is English to do that on the internet.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 15:51:53 |Display all floors

If Elizabeth II says "should of", nobody will call her an idiot.
If a bum says "should have", nobody will give him a crown to wear.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-3 18:56:24 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2013-7-3 15:20
Since you're such a stickler for correct English writing you might take a gander at these aspects  ...

Thank you for correcting my mistakes (time without a s is a typo, the exclamation point is because we put it inside the parenthesis in French and the 2 instead of two was actually to emphasize my point that it is ridiculous to abbreviate for two letters. You are entirely right on the use of make instead of do and I will try and not forget it in the future).

You actually go towards my direction. I am a native French speaker and learnt English in school and on forum boards. If maybe people were writing their native language properly I would not have made these mistakes
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-3 19:02:28 |Display all floors
gavingy Post time: 2013-7-3 15:40
My word you still don't have a clue right? Of course there are times when you have to use formal a ...
And don't you confuse us with the matter of respect. If you speak like the Queen to a seven year old schoolboy, I doubt that he'll appreciate it.

Actually, in my job, I deal with many children and I always treat them the same way I would treat an adult. And you know what ? They appreciate it big time !

As for the informal way of speaking, I agree with you. And of course no one should speak like a bureaucrat all the time. But you were mentioning an informal way of WRITING which I do not believe exist.

You can say, informally, "dude I was so drunk last night, I woke up with a girl in my bed and I have no idea who she is or what we've done", writing it "dude I was so drunk last nite, I woke up with a gal in my bed and I have no id who she is or wut we did" will NOT make the subject any less formal.

And, to clarify, yes, I do believe anyone using should of instead of should have is incredibly idiotic because IT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER !

However, before this goes out of hand, I also would like to point out that I am merely expressing (and defending) my ideas and not belittling yours and that I would appreciate if you were to do the same (because, yes, I do have a clue...)
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.