Author: china.pm

[Original]How to find a foreign teacher? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-3 13:59:50 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-7-3 12:28
No they don't ! They need a strong grammatical basis !

The first time I had a native English teac ...

{:soso_e179:}

The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-3 14:05:29 |Display all floors
gavingy Post time: 2013-7-3 13:59

Thank you for your support but truth is also that, should I open an English school in China, I would get surrounded by dozens of young handsome/beautiful white americans and charge huge amounts of money. Two reasons for this :

1. The purpose of most English schools is to make money (they don't really care about teaching English)
2. That's what the Chinese parents want, they would never trust a school where the teachers are Chinese and would definitely prefer to have an American writing "should of" than a Chinese writing "should have"...
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 14:10:21 |Display all floors

Yes, salary must be factored in when you're looking for a real decent teacher. 200RMB an hour seems legit.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 14:20:42 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-7-3 14:05
Thank you for your support but truth is also that, should I open an English school in China, I wou ...

Well I agree with your first point, but the second one --- hell NO. Can't believe you'd assume every native speaker would make a mistake as such. Yes when I'm in an online chatroom I do sometimes type "should off" instead of "should have" and that's because it's a social networking site, not your Eng Lit thesis or some biochemistry research paper. Though Chinese might not think of other nationalities as remotely intelligent, but most people in the states are capable enough of understanding the difference between formal and informal occasions and don't you doubt it for a sec sir.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-3 14:39:04 |Display all floors
gavingy Post time: 2013-7-3 14:20
Well I agree with your first point, but the second one --- hell NO. Can't believe you'd assume eve ...

I did not realize there was a written English for formal and informal occasion... The argument "I'm in an online chatroom not writing an English Lit thesis" simply does not hold sway with me and I have heard it countless time when I am complaining on French language boards that people are writing like semi intelligent monkeys.

I will be very clear, I do not turn my brain off after work or after class and, in correlation, I do not turn it on only when I do something "serious". Writing a language properly (I am not talking about typos or the occasional misspelling or people suffering of dyslexia) is just a matter of respect, for yourself and for the people reading you. How the hell am I supposed to trust a teacher whose stance is "it's ok to be an idiot outside of class" ?
While content matters, form matters too. A man in his right mind will always be more interested in a beautiful smart lady than in an ugly smart lady.

And, by the way, I certainly hope most native speakers do not do this mistake, my point is just that any teacher should not do this mistake because it just shows laziness (seriously it's only 2 letters more to type !)
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 15:04:42 |Display all floors

Let's take three of your sentences, Mister Panda:

#1. Apparently these days it's not politically correct to use the term "native" so you might have to somehow use the term "indigenous occupant" in that phrase.

#2. Most English speakers would say "...was when I was at university" rather than "once" but with all of your grammatical expertise you might be able to make a case otherwise.

#3.  It is usually not acceptable to begin sentences with "And", particularly given the syntax of your sentence. However, I'll let that one go through to the keeper although you also begin the next sentence with "And" so it's getting a tad repititious..

#4. You have twice stressed the importance of "a strong grammatical basis" but then you remark upon saying "Ze instead of The". This is not grammar but the pronunciation of English words. Spot the difference ?

Certainly it is necessary to build a house with strong foundations but one should also ensure that the builder doesn't have feet of clay.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 15:20:31 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-7-3 14:39
I did not realize there was a written English for formal and informal occasion... The argument "I' ...

Since you're such a stickler for correct English writing you might take a gander at these aspects of your writing:

"I have heard it countless time when I am complaining on French language boards" You should write the plural "times" here. By the way, does this mean that you are also fluent in French ?

"I certainly hope most native speakers do not do this mistake, my point is just that any teacher should not do this mistake" All native English speakers would use the verb "make" in this sentence on the two occasions that you use "do".

"(seriously it's only 2 letters more to type !)" Let me count the ways: first, you should put the final punctuation mark "!" outside of the last parenthesis, not inside it; second, you should write the word as "two", not as the numeral "2" - indeed it just "shows laziness" not to do so.

To repeat your own aphorism, "While content matters, form matters too." It's bad form to criticise others whilst making similar mistakes yourself.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.