Views: 8658|Replies: 22

"late payment" scam - warning [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-5-21 12:06:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-5-21 12:07

Somebody just wanted to scam me, so I'll share this situation with You - as a warning.

At sunday afternoon I received a phone call, first it was in Chinese, but second call was in English:
"we are computer company, Your network payment is overdue, but instead of turning ot the service we can send a person to pick up the money from you, this evening"

Why I'm sure it is scam?
- when I asked what company - They say some Chinese name, but not my internet provider
- they know my name, but not exact address when I asked Them if they know where to come
- they asked "strange" amount of 800RMB, while my yearly payment is probably less than that
- they called at sunday afternoon (that is quite unusual time for any company)

How do They know my name and phone? Probably from my business card (They called my company mobile).
How do They know my address (city)? probably also from my business card - when I put my office address.

You know... if They said that it is 132 RMB (for example) - I would more likely to take it serious, but I was highly alarmed by the amount, and since this moment - I asked few more questions.
Of course I didn't get them my exact address.

Real network provider - if You delay payment just turns off the service temporaly.
But I suppose this kind of scam may be under many "brands", as many as the number of services possible...

Just another attempt to scam. And NOT TARGETED to foreigners only (because first person was speaking only Chinese).

Be carefull :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 12:11:36 |Display all floors
I know who all my providers are, I know the amounts per month, per bill. Asking simple questions they come unstuck very fast.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 12:23:29 |Display all floors
Pond Post time: 2013-5-21 12:11
I know who all my providers are, I know the amounts per month, per bill. Asking simple questions the ...

Yes, so that is why I asked questions, instead of providing them any information.
Funny thing - when I asked "why so much money?" the reply was "is it too much?" - so the scammer was not so experienced...

In my case - I don't know details of the bills, because my company pay it, but I have general idea what are amounts, and I know service providers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 12:47:09 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-5-21 12:23
Yes, so that is why I asked questions, instead of providing them any information.
Funny thing - wh ...

I treat scamers as entertainment. Keep a data base of the scamers, it is very interesting looking at the patterns.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 14:49:27 |Display all floors
Pond Post time: 2013-5-21 12:47
I treat scamers as entertainment. Keep a data base of the scamers, it is very interesting looking  ...

This is first "serious" scam that happened to me (at list try of scam). It would be interesting to see more of it, but this is not a thing that makes me feel good anyway.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 14:54:05 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-5-21 14:49
This is first "serious" scam that happened to me (at list try of scam). It would be interesting to ...

You will get more scamers, but the tactics are the same.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-5-21 15:18:47 |Display all floors
Never transfer any money to a stranger!

This is a golden rule
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.