Author: sansukong

German Chemist Slams Scaremongering By U.N.’s IPCC [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-2 23:56:49 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-5-1 23:53
http://www.desmogblog.com/node/7044

Interesting. I have a great disdain for "scientists" who falsify their credentials or their work, because science is all about finding information and understanding it. Politics should have NOTHING to do with it. For that matter, neither should religion (even though some of the greatest western scientists in history were motivated by a desire to understand God by understanding creation).

This is certainly making me reconsider my position on the matter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-3 00:00:26 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-5-2 10:56
Planting a doubt.

That is the tactic used by the tobacco lobbyist many years ago

These are good points.

Doubt is what drives science. When we doubt our own understanding of something, we investigate it with the desire of understanding it better.

As I've said before, the issue is so heavily politicized that it is difficult to find objective sources. As more data become available and better models become available, the truth will emerge as obvious to all but those who refuse to look at facts. Remember, at one time people believed that the Earth was the centre of the universe (not just the solar system) and that the Sun orbited the Earth. We managed to make it past that one, we'll find the truth about this one too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-3 01:12:10 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-5-2 23:56
Interesting. I have a great disdain for "scientists" who falsify their credentials or their work,  ...

The only way to get conviction ......based on the fact that you call your self a scientist.....is to learn the basics up......start from the basics.

Everyone else who don't have the basics are stuck at all the arguments....and the con men and obstructionists won.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-3 02:17:36 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-5-2 12:12
The only way to get conviction ......based on the fact that you call your self a scientist.....is  ...

I am a scientist and that is what I am doing. This is not my field, so it will take a while. I'm just trying to understand what is really happening.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-3 03:19:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2013-5-3 03:20
querist Post time: 2013-5-2 23:56
Interesting. I have a great disdain for "scientists" who falsify their credentials or their work,  ...

There is no chance on mainstream science being wrong on this one. Not on the big picture.

Now, even if they are wrong, so what?

Malaysia's energy company has announced a 1% surcharge on all sales to be used for development of green energy.

I think it is a great idea. Just 1 % only, no one is going to die because of the surcharge but the advantages can be tremendous if they put the 1 % to good use. .....jeeze.....what is the worse that can happen? Lose 1 % ?

In America, they will quarrel until nothing is done.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-3 04:28:35 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-5-2 14:19
There is no chance on mainstream science being wrong on this one. Not on the big picture.

Now, eve ...

There's always a chance that "mainstream science" is wrong. If they're right, then we need to act. If they're wrong, then many of the suggested actions won't really cause any problems anyway.

We know that fossil fuels cause other problems and they are, by definition, a limited resource. Therefore, looking for alternative forms of energy is a good idea anyway.

I applaud Malaysia for their approach. However, what is going to guarantee that that 1% is actually used for the stated purpose? In the USA, telecommunications companies have been charging a surcharge for years for the development and expansion of fibre-based communications and for improving coverage for wireless services. We're still waiting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-3 08:29:48 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-5-3 04:28
There's always a chance that "mainstream science" is wrong. If they're right, then we need to act. ...

Scientist, you know what is the meaning of expected value?

If the expected damage from an event is very large, multiply that by even a smaller probability can still result in in large negative expected value.

In simple English......no need  to wait for 100 % certainty to take remedial action.

What more.....it is generally believe the theory of anthropogenic global warming is as solid as any theory in science....like theory of gravity, theory of evolution, etc etc...

It is a consistent set of theory that can explain for all the observations we have. it makes sense, it is consistent, it follows from the laws of chemistry and physics. There is no observation to contradict the theory.

And we certainly do not want to wait for Earth to be like Venus to be convinced.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.