Author: sunnylin01

What are the differences between Chinese women and American women?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-4-17 19:31:38 |Display all floors
mus_ne Post time: 2013-4-17 05:20
I'm glad you agree with me. I'm no racist and I have nothing against Chinese people in ...

Etiquette is cultural. In parts of Africa it is considered a compliment to the cook to belch loudly after a meal, but in cultures with their roots in Europe the exact same thing is considered rude.

I will admit I was put off the first time I saw a little kid (maybe 2-3 yrs old) relieving himself in a public park - those trousers with the split bottoms come in handy, I guess, but I thought it was rather disturbing given the fact that public restrooms are plentiful in Nanjing. It took a while to become accustomed to spitting bones onto a plate, and I still don't just spit them out but I manage it a little more gently, but these are behaviors that are considered acceptable in Chinese society.

Just like there are parts of Africa where everyone walks around in only a piece of cloth wrapped around the waist, and I suspect there are parts where even that much is not worn. What about India where the cultural norm is to eat with your hands and not use utensils?

I think it is only fair to assess people in light of their own culture. I do not expect my Chinese colleagues IN CHINA to adhere to western expectations of table manners, for example. I am pretty much a stickler on how I treat a lady, however. I like to think that it is just because my mother raised me properly, in the context of my culture.

And yes, I have held my female colleague's purse for her before on several occasions. Is there something wrong with that in China? I doubt it, because I trust her not to ask me to do anything that would cause me to lose face.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-18 11:02:43 |Display all floors
all points and valid and true about chinese women, not sure about american women becuase i never got to know any one close enough

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.