Views: 19251|Replies: 67

Top China universities scrap English   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-18 17:25:45 |Display all floors
Hey, it’s a tough language.
And top Chinese universities are no longer requiring its students pass English as an entrance requirement because of it. We don’t require our students pass Chinese exams, or even Spanish exams, before getting into a college. This is the beauty of living in a country that speaks the language of global finance and trade.

It’s not that the Chinese have given up on English, of course.  They don’t expect the United States and Europe to suddenly become fluent in Mandarin within a generation. It’s just that their top government run universities are no longer asking students to be versed in that foreign language before getting accepted to the tuition-free schools.

In most of the country’s major state universities, those who have applied for science and engineering majors for example now just need to pass the pre-requisite math and physics exams.

Yu Han, an enrollment officer at Tsinghua University, told China Daily on Sunday that the subject was eliminated in order to reduce new students’ study time and get more of them to focus on their course majors.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 17:33:47 |Display all floors
Some times the nationalists win

Some times the realists win

There will be no end to this question.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 00:00:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-3-19 23:59

I take it back i was wrong, was too quick to respond.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 10:04:26 |Display all floors
Oh good news though, finaly we do not need to be an English speaker expert in every fields.

kind of late.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 10:50:26 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-3-18 17:33
Some times the nationalists win

Some times the realists win

The Chinese people go from one extreme to other.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 10:56:47 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-3-19 00:00
Actually it's objectively one of the easiest languages in the world.

Anyway, this isn't unexpected. ...

Yes, Chinese nationalists claim that the Chinese language are grandually losing ground due to the rising enthusiasm of English learning. Maybe they might China once again become victim of Western colonialism.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-3-19 11:01:47 |Display all floors
This only makes sense. Imagine the negative impact on engineering schools in the USA if passing
a Mandarin proficiency test was a prerequisite to being accepted.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.