Author: dostoevskydr

Swiss tourist gang-raped in India: police   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-18 20:47:18 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2013-3-18 20:40
Yes and no.

An analogy.

A human being is not a watch.  Maybe the problem is we have objectified women for so long, its okay for some to think of them as things instead of people.  I don't know.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 20:53:00 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2013-3-18 20:43
Well, it was not reported here! I try to keep abreast of stuff but not rape cases! could I have th ...

I'll pm the link.  

It was the third rape so far this year on county buses that annually carry millions of people.

This stuff happens so frequently, its not newsworthy anymore.  

There was a case I read about where the police actually paid a settlement to a victims family of some 11 million dollars or something like that.  The girl had mental problems and needed to be on medication.  The police picked her up for something and ignored family demands that her condition be treated.  They released her in a bad neighborhood and she was gang-raped and thrown out of a 13-story window leaving her forever brain-damaged.

People are people - rape is rape.  Doesn't matter the country.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 20:54:06 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 20:55:46 |Display all floors
I have an issue with the BBC, reporting this case as the first foreigner to be raped after the rape/murder in Delhi
They obviously don't read others news reports or think Chinese don't rate
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 21:02:09 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2013-3-18 20:43
Well, it was not reported here! I try to keep abreast of stuff but not rape cases! could I have th ...

I guess this girl shouldn't of been mentally retarded and this would of never happened.

See the danger in blaming the victim?  Its not cool.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 21:14:53 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2013-3-18 07:55
I have an issue with the BBC, reporting this case as the first foreigner to be raped after the rape/ ...

I think that part of the issue with the BBC making a big deal about this case is that the Swiss tourist is European - and unless you're very familiar with Europe and hear the people speak, it's hard to tell the difference between a Swiss and a German or a Briton or whatever, just like most people outside of China can't tell the differences between most of the 56 different ethnic groups in China.

I believe that the BBC's emphasis, which I agree is unfortunate and ethnocentric, shows the assessment that "we're not safe". Let me give you a slightly different example that should help clarify what I'm trying to say.

I was in Thailand during the riots a few years back. I landed the day the riots started. The interesting thing about the riots in Thailand about the alleged irregularities in the election of the Prime Minister is that neither side wanted foreigners involved. They were careful not to harm foreigners. It was a Thai matter and it was to be settled among the Thai people. While I was nervous, I did not feel any immediate danger for myself since I am clearly not of Asian descent.

Now, suddenly Europeans are threatened by this latest case in India. This brings it much closer to home for the BBC.

Again, please note that I agree that the emphasis is wrong and that they should have reported on the earlier cases when non-Europeans were victimized. I am NOT agreeing with their editorial decisions. I am simply trying to understand them.

Rape is rape, and it is a horrible crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 21:18:02 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-3-18 20:54
I share that passion!

Camping gives you the control over your environment by living in the rough. ...

Just can't wait until the weather gets nicer.  Need to go out hiking.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.