Views: 17943|Replies: 56

Why Hong Kongers discriminate against Chinese but be subservient to Westerners?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-13 23:58:56 |Display all floors
Not sure if you remember the incident last year in Hong Kong's subway, where a girl and her mother -- apparently from China --- got a severe toung-lashing from some Hong Kong commuters for eating something in the carriage.

A year later, when a group of white Caucasian students were feasting in the train, no one seemed to care.

We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-13 23:59:32 |Display all floors
1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 00:00:01 |Display all floors
Posted a picture, but it needs verification.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 00:16:10 |Display all floors
Hong Kong people always take pride in the fact they live in a free, democratic society where even the Chinese central authorities are powerless if they decide to protest en mass.

That's also a major reason -- at least according to quite a number of Hong Kongers -- why they look down upon mainland Chinese, and indeed, why they are proper human beings while mainland Chinese are locusts.

But is it the real reason? Or is it more because of the material interests that they say they have to protect against the multitude of Chinese crossing into Hong Kong every day? Or could this superiority complex a result of identity, i.e. they identify more with the West rather than with China?

Either way, at least as far as these two particular incidents are concerned, Hong Kong people -- some or most, I'm not sure -- are just hypocrites

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 10:57:19 |Display all floors
Why do Chinese discriminate against Chinese?

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/ ... 0100129-195357.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 17:27:04 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-3-14 17:16
You missed my post then!

In one here, I mentioned how I kicked-arse an English twerp stretched out  ...

That's why I say "not all Hong Kong people" are like that.

But I'm afraid you are increasingly becoming a minority, with more and more Hong Kongers falling for the superiority complex.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 17:31:46 |Display all floors
jiayangguizi8 Post time: 2013-3-14 10:57
Why do Chinese discriminate against Chinese?

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/My+Money/Property/Stor ...

Yes, I get your point. It is certainly not reasonably to blame only one side when there is another side to the equation.

But still, I maintain that Hong Kong people are acting out of proportion with regards to mainland Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.