Author: linda_sun

Why are Chinese cruel to animals?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-12 10:00:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by LolaEliot at 2013-3-12 10:03

Lots of people are cruel to animals, but not just Chinese!
I hate them anyway. They should be killed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-12 10:09:09 |Display all floors
Its just because of their stage of development. The West was just as cruel at one stage.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-3-12 10:24:17 |Display all floors
changamullah Post time: 2013-3-12 08:45
It does not imply all.

That is your inference. And yours only.

Incorrect ........  !

Without an article such as 'a', 'an', or 'the', it becomes a generalization such as 'dogs like bones' or 'computers are useful' and implies all dogs or all computers  ..........

Therefore the expression 'Chinese are cruel to animals' implies not only all Chinese but all animals as well .........

That is not my personal inference but rather a grammatical one as stated in any good grammar book ..........

But do continue chasing a point such as this .........

I didn't want to see you drowning but I am sure I will enjoy it more as you keep this up ........   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-12 11:17:35 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-3-12 10:24
Incorrect ........  !

Without an article such as 'a', 'an', or 'the', it becomes a generalization ...

I remember you saying that you enjoyed threads by authors such as totothedog and his cronies. Threads entitled, Why did the Anglos ...?

And now you state your strong dislike for threads asking (in your opinion) why are ALL Chinese cruel to ALL animals? ... because it is a generalization?

Or do your grammar rules - and your moral code - only apply on selective occasions?  

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-3-12 12:01:07 |Display all floors
changamullah Post time: 2013-3-12 11:17
I remember you saying that you enjoyed threads by authors such as totothedog and his cronies. Thre ...
I remember you saying that you enjoyed threads

I may have done, but I cannot remember stating the same about the titles and here you have a chance to prove me wrong  ..........   

And now you state your strong dislike for threads asking

Incorrect ........

I have merely stated that the title is a generalization and nothing more .........  !!

Or do your grammar rules ..........

Grammar rules are mostly consistent, whereas your ideas seem to fluctuate depending on how desperate you get  ........   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-12 12:03:16 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-3-12 11:39
Oh deal, Expatter dabbling in linguistics again! "S.O.S.! Everybody abandon ship!"

Can you, Expa ...

Can you, Expatter, perhaps venture to give an approximative stat, rate or other numeral to indicate how generalised cruelty to animals is among the Chinese?  

Nowhere have I tried to address or discuss that matter and as I stated the to the other fellow, I have made a comment about the title and nothing more ........

Please feel free to follow your own line and provide those stats .........     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-12 12:08:14 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-3-12 12:05
Forget it yourself - Expatter doesn't speak Spanish, and my own Spanish is not the Spanish King's  ...

Yes ........

It was quite a surprise to see changamullah try to make such a large meal out of such a small morsel ......   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.