Author: Eudaimonia

How does it feel to be soooooooo brainwashed?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-6 04:06:15 |Display all floors
brainwashed people always accuse others of being brainwashed. same cliche about chinese and china in western media.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-6 04:52:25 |Display all floors
shokenchi Post time: 2013-3-6 04:06
brainwashed people always accuse others of being brainwashed. same cliche about chinese and china in ...

Didn't ever say that western media are not bad. Actually i'd bet that there's no free media in any country of the world.    ...but are the media of other countries as bad as China's media? Do they have 6-8 channels that constantly villify a certain group of people? Nope.

Sure, maybe American media are equaly bad as Chinese media, probably portraying Arabs as the bad guys/terrorists etc etc ...but this is not relevant to this conversation. This conversation isn't about American media.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-6 06:39:13 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-3-6 04:52
Didn't ever say that western media are not bad. Actually i'd bet that there's no free media in any ...

Did you even care to know which is the total number of TV stations that are aired nationwide? No, that is not of your interest I know. I'll tell you; aproximately more than 125! Yes, exactly. And here is where statistics come into effect. From those the vast majority air shows that have nothing to do with politics AT ALL. To put you an example, 75% of the CCTV Channels broadcast shows non-related to news or politics including opera, sciencie, etc...

Next time you want to come out here at show yourself as a statistician "smartass", do us all a favor; go and read the books "Freakonomics" and "Superfreakonomics" (Levitt & Dubner) and learn how make an interpretation of the facts.

Have a nice day and enjoy your feta cheese salad!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-6 06:52:23 |Display all floors
This post was edited by longzhou at 2013-3-6 06:54

Moreover, if you actually take a look at other western countries' media outlets and what they carry (especially regarding TV), you'll find out that, for example, that the vast majority are broadcasting the same news (edition is the same presentation varies) including the presentation times.

In Spain, for example, a recent study by a social media group discovered that, from the 5 nationwide broadcasted channels (TV1-TV2-CanalPlus-Tele5-LaSexta) only one (TV2) was broadcasrting a different type of show from the others at any given time. At prime time, for example, the other 4 were using the first 9 minutes of a 30 minutes news show, to talk about what the government was doing or planning to do. This means that, at those times, any given viewer had, only, a 1 national channel in between 5 for a different option.

You claim, that should be known if it is just your imagination or true, that 8 channels were constantly talking about the tensions between China and Japan. Even supposing this to be true, on the global number, it means that the viewers still had another 117 channels to watch broadcasting other type of shows.

In terms of % and comparing the two countries in my post, while in China, and always according to your information which is not clear if it is absolutely right, 93.6%(117)of the shows aired at any given time, broadcast shows that have nothing to do with politics or tensions in between countries. In Spain, on the contrary, only 25% (1) are airing something different.

Who are the brainwashed, according to statistics and not just miopic observation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-6 07:00:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-3-6 07:01
longzhou Post time: 2013-3-6 06:39
Did you even care to know which is the total number of TV stations that are aired nationwide? No,  ...

That's some interesting info. Still, this doesn't negate the fact that 6-8 of the 60 tv-stations that i watched very often played anti-Japanese tv-series or movies. I observed that out of the tv-series and movies the tv-stationsmostly play "old china" stuff and "Japanese devil" stuff. Every other theme is rarely seen on Chinese tv.

Even if we think that i was super-duper unlucky and the 65 tv-stations that my hotel tv didn't provide me access to NEVER EVER play anti-japanese stuff we're still left with a staggering... 6-8 out of 125.

To have a comparison for good measure.... Here in Greece i don't even remember the last time that i've seen something relevant to ww2 nazi Germany or the Turks on tv. By i don't even remember i mean that months have passed. Do you comprehend the difference? The difference is HUGE.

When someone is told every day of his life that "the Japs" are the bad guys he'll probably end up believing it no matter what the Japanese people do.

Anyway, i must say that i do appreciate your civil reply where you provided a relatively (to everyone else) good argument. Thank you very much for that, your post was like a rare oasis amongst trash posts. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-6 07:04:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-3-6 07:07
longzhou Post time: 2013-3-6 06:52
Moreover, if you actually take a look at other western countries' media outlets and what they carry  ...
You claim, that should be known if it is just your imagination or true, that 8 channels were constantly talking about the tensions between China and Japan. Even supposing this to be true, on the global number, it means that the viewers still had another 117 channels to watch broadcasting other type of shows.

No, not the tensions necesairily.  Anything that featured the Japanese as bad guys.

The rest of your post was irrelevant. I never said that western media are great, but they are better - at least in Europe they are. In the U.S. they might be equally bad as China by portraying the Arabs as the bad guys all the time just like China portrays the Japanese as the bad guys all the time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-6 07:59:01 |Display all floors
No barbarian at the gates , yet China still has to make believe there are barbarians at the gate.

This is so the China Empire looks real and genuine.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.