Author: Dragons8

Mystical Amulets and Talismans [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-1 21:09:52 |Display all floors
My next post will be mentioning one of the popular amulets nowadays and most temples in Thailand more or less make such amulets to meet the aspiration of the devotees. Some of temples are commanding top dollars due to their favourite and very efficacious amulets at least half a century ago.

I am talking about Phra Pidta or covered eyes amulet, where the eyes are covered with their hands, for not wishing to see what is happening. In most temples, we will notice three statues of monkeys; one is covering their eyes, one is covering their mouth and one is covering their ears. When a novice monks when taking and playing too much their teacher or master will bring them to the three statues to remind them of their actions. Monks are supposed to follow the path of the Dharma, the teaching of Buddha.

Just some of the Amulets of Phra Pidta, 3D images of human shapes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-4 16:19:30 |Display all floors
Innovation. Nowadays, being educated and possessed  a lot of new ideas, new and eye-catching amulets are making news in the market. Some rare designed amulets are starting to appear in the market, but hardly can be found circulating, because everyone wanted to collect a piece in their collection.

With a local nick name called "dinosaur" or four-in-one, an amulet consisted of a Buddha, Phra Pidta, and two famous monks at the back, Luang Phor Khron and Chau Khun Chan (Master and student) at Wat Uttamaram in Kelantan state, West Malaysia bordering Thailand.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 14:37:44 |Display all floors
In my  previous post, I posted some amulet with multiple images, i.e. few images in one medallion or mini statue. Such an amulet are rare, like wearing two or three masters at one time, instead of wearing three amulets at one time. They maybe master and disciples, brotherhood or relatives. Most were reputable during their time, thus worthy of being remembrance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-13 17:06:15 |Display all floors
Continuation of my Covered Eyes Amulets or Phra Pidta, made by the famous Monk, Luang Phor Khron aka Tok Raja of Wat Uttamaram, Kelantan State, West Malaysia, bordering Southern Thailand. More than half a century ago, the town at other side of the border is known as "cowboy town" where most of the gangsters carried guns to show their strength and domination in their group and areas. Frequently gangs flights is not uncommon following by stiff bodies lying in the road.

Why I mentioned the amulets made by Luang Phor Khron became famous related all an incident, a man was unhurt after gangster fired several rounds into him and couldn't harm him and only realised he was wearing a Phra Pidta amulet made by Tok Raja.

Covered Eyes Amulets is a prize amulet in SE Asia, and every collectors dreams to own one the amulet made Luang Phor Khron himself or at least from his temple made by his disciples.

Beauty competition and Phra Pidta made by Luang Phor Khron, awarded the most handsome amulet of all. The shaped and styled, almost the 3D human like and made of various materials. Silver, wooden, Ivory, herbal, etc

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-15 16:19:59 |Display all floors
Today (6 lunar month, day 19th) is birthday of Kwan Inn. Try to be a vegetarian today

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-16 20:09:09 |Display all floors
Theravada Buddhism is mainly practiced South East Asian and the temples can be found in most major cities. Where as  Mahayana Buddhism is practiced in China, Korea, Japan, Tibet and Vietnam. Nowadays, two schools are often blend into each other.

In Singapore, the Kelantan temple famous for Covered Eyes Amulet (Phra Pidta) built a Theravada Temple here by the famous Master Luang Phor Khron, some 50 years ago.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-19 11:07:27 |Display all floors
Phra Pidta, my pet tropic and I would like to share some other Covered Eyes Amulets or Phra Pidta from various Temples in Thailand and Malaysia. Some are direct lineage of the famous Masters, the same method that passed down the making of the famous amulets to their disciples. All amulets must be "alive" before can pass to the devotees.

A process of making an amulet is slow and only made piece by piece by hand, after gathered all the necessary herbs, scared powder and incantation. Nowadays amulets are made in factory using machinery.

Will be showing some of the amulets from Wat Uttamaram and affiliated temples. Chau Khun Chan made Phrat Pidta, direct disciple of Tok Raja.

Use magic tools Report

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.