Author: samkee

why did she say it's hard to live in USA   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-2-23 21:23:24 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-2-23 21:17
Are you serious or what you said is sarcasm?

From wiki, on the 'model minority'

==============================================================

Model minority, also overachieving minority[citation needed] or over-represented minority[citation needed] refers to some minority ethnic, racial, or religious group whose members are most often perceived to achieve a higher degree of success than the population average. It is most commonly applied to ethnic minorities. This success is typically measured in income, education, and related factors such as low crime rate and high family stability. It is based more on perception than any actual measure of achievement, and can be subjective.[citation needed]

In the United States, the term is typically associated with Asian Americans[1], but more specifically with the largest groups of Asian Americans which are (Chinese, Filipino, Indian[2], Japanese[3], and Korean Americans).

In Mexico, the comparable status is primarily associated with ethnic German and Lebanese Mexicans.[citation needed]

In the Netherlands, the comparable status is primarily associated with Indo people also known as Indies Dutchmen or Dutch Indonesians, the largest minority group in the country.[4][5][6]

In Germany, the comparable status is primarily associated with Korean Germans and Vietnamese Germans and a comparable term in German society is "Das vietnamesische Wunder" ("The Vietnamese Miracle") which is associated with the academic success of Vietnamese Germans in Germany.[7]

Generalized statistics are often cited to back up their model minority status such as high educational achievement and a high representation in white collar professions (jobs such as medicine, investment banking, management consulting, finance, engineering, and law).

A common misconception is that the affected communities usually hold pride in their labeling as the model minority. The model minority stereotype is considered detrimental to the Asian Pacific American (APA) community, because it is used to justify the exclusion of needy APA communities in the distribution of assistance programs, public and private, and understate or slight the achievements of APA individuals. Furthermore, the idea of the model minority pits minority groups against each other by implying that non-model groups are at fault for falling short of the model minority level of achievement and assimilation.

The model minority label relies on the aggregation of success indicators, which may hide the plight of recent first-generation immigrants under the high success rate of more established Asian communities. While communities of Asian Americans that have been in the U.S. for 3-4 generations are generally wealthier, many immigrant communities of Asian Americans may experience poverty.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 21:28:32 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-2-23 21:19
I'm absolutely serious.

I have read here before that you wrote you never been in China and it´s obvious
I agree with you that I admire and appreciate their culture and work too but I disagree with your thoughts. Probably you are talking about the Chinese or Asians in USA
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 21:32:08 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-2-23 21:28
I have read here before that you wrote you never been in China and it´s obvious
I agree with you  ...

I am.  I thought that was the topic.

I was responding to slimpanda's accusation of low wages from racism and discrimination practices.  They can't be discriminated against if the average chinese in the US is on average, making more than the majority of families in the US.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-23 22:04:55 |Display all floors
with language barrier & dont have a valid driver license it's extremely to get around in a strangeland not mention other obstacles ahead of you  {:soso_e114:}{:soso_e113:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-2-23 22:07:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2013-2-23 22:11
You don´t have idea how is the life in the US, Its not the paradise but is far good than any Asian country.

It depends and opinions differ from person to person. So ? Again, a sweeping statement !
To how many "Asian Countries" have you ever lived in ?
As long as you have "sufficient" money, any place can be a Paradise.
That will bring us to the "Q" - What is "sufficient" ?
Let us take it further - What do you think is "sufficent" money for a decent living in Beijing ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-25 22:09:45 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-2-23 18:19
Um....asians, on average, make more money than whites.  They are the most educated, have low divor ...

thanks~
i love u~
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-25 22:20:36 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-2-23 21:32
I am.  I thought that was the topic.

I was responding to slimpanda's accusation of low wages from ...

maybe im not in U.S. that is why i cant see those things~
but my friends that are over there...they told me about their chances and being bullied by Whites there...
while the blacks like to do drugs and rob them...=.="
kinda scary though...

is it like tat? or maybe its bcos in new york?
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.