This post was edited by linlinlinlin at 2013-2-17 09:17|
Top Dogs: Portraits from Westminster
- Max, a Weimaraner, the day before the hundred-and-thirty-seventh Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
- Sophia, a Pomeranian, who was competing in the New York Pet Fashion Show.
- Jackie, a female Ibizan Hound.
- Ralph, a snow-loving, hundred-and-eighty-pound Saint Bernard from Georgia, who was competing at Westminster for the first time.
- Lassie, the tenth-generation descendant of the collie TV star of the same name. Lassie was not competing at Westminster, but attended many promotional events with her public-relations team.
- Dekanchar’s Noble Legend, an Otterhound.
- Kid, a Miniature Bull Terrier, who won Best of Breed at Westminster in 2012. Kid’s full name is Grand Champion Cambria’s Kid N Play.
- Jayden, a year-old Airedale terrier. This was Jayden’s first trip to Westminster.
- Black Alder Dashiell Hammett, a pointer.
- Vendetta, a female Great Dane.
- Courti, a three-and-a-half-year-old Afghan hound. This was Courti’s first trip to Westminster.
- Ruby, a whippet owned by the photographer Robin Schwartz.
- Hazel, a Dogue de Bordeaux from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. This was Hazel’s first trip to Westminster.
- Henry, a four-year-old Border collie.
- Dazzle, an English setter.
- Tai, a German pinscher.
- Patrick, an eight-year-old standard poodle, who has retired from the competition ring.
- Sara, a Cardigan Welsh corgi.
This past weekend, back when Banana Joe’s victory was just a whisper in his owner’s heart, the photographer Landon Nordeman found himself holed up in the Pennsylvania Hotel, where hundreds of dogs and their owners were gathered in preparation for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show and the events that surround the annual competition. In the course of three days, Landon and his team produced studio portraits of the hotel’s canine guests. Nordeman, who regularly photographs for The New Yorker’s Goings On About Town section, is no stranger to dog photography; in fact, his first assignment for the magazine was to photograph a border collie for a story by Susan Orlean. This is his third visit to Westminster (we published sets of his photos from the show in 2010 and 2011), and, last fall, he travelled to Romania to photograph Euro Dog 2012. Here’s a selection from his weekend at the Hotel Pennsylvania.