Views: 2398|Replies: 5

US scholar urges Obama to treat China carefully, thoughtfully and respectfully [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-23 17:41:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sansukong at 2013-1-28 01:02

US scholar urges Obama to treat China carefully, thoughtfully and respectfully

Xinhua | 2013-1-22 15:57:56
By Agencies

A US expert on China took the opportunity of US President Barack Obama's second-term inauguration on Monday to urge him to treat China carefully, thoughtfully and respectfully.

"The US needs to understand that 22 percent of the global population has to be related to carefully, thoughtfully -- even respectfully," Tom Plate, a senior journalist, columnist and author of several books on Asia, wrote in his latest column, "Pacific Perspectives: Now is the time -- but China is not the crime."

Plate, author of the just-published conversations with UN chief Ban Ki-moon and recent conversations with former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, is a distinguished scholar of Asian and Pacific studies at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.

As Obama officially began his second term, Plate said he expected the "pivot to Asia" policy would proceed briskly apace. "That would be good. There is no time to dawdle," he wrote. "For the US and Asia, now is the time, if ever there was a time."

"If Asia is not rising, as virtually every expert says, then the rest of us must be sinking. The statistics out of Asia are daunting. Here are a few. Before too long, China will have the world's largest economy. Perhaps even before that, India will have the largest population. Indonesia, often neglected by the West, has a higher per-capita income than India and -- along with Turkey -- far more clout in the Islamic world," he wrote.

Reviewing the span of region, area and time zones, the expert warned new American foreign policy needed to be carefully recalibrated.

"If the recalibration is to be based almost entirely on an attempted isolation of China, this policy will flop," he wrote.

"What's more, should the US prioritize cornering China every step of the way, China will fight back every step of the way. The downside cost to both will be enormous, unnecessary and tragic," Plate warned.

He also said Obama must engage China with respect and nuance.

"He (Obama) is said to worry that the prior Bush and Clinton administrations were too easy on China -- whatever that might mean. In fact, apart from a few lapses, both administrations got the China relationship more right than wrong and will be so credited by history," Plate wrote.

"What would be remarkably ironic is if the President, who is known to regard any war as the least acceptable option, fashions a policy that leads to conflict with China. That mistake would more than blemish his watch. It would be a blunder worse than President George W. Bush's unnecessary invasion and occupation of Iraq," Plate warned.

"He (Obama) doesn't have to run for reelection; no one is going to bother calling him weak when in fact the real danger is that the US will adopt too strong-armed an Asia 'pivot' and inadvertently risk undermining Asian stability," Plate wrote.
Translate ........

美國學者敦促奧巴馬認真、 周到、 恭敬地對待中國

記者  |2013-1-22 15:57:56
機構

美國專家對中國趁此機會我們星期一,促請他認真、 周到、 恭敬地對待中國的主席奧巴馬第二任期就職。

"美國需要瞭解全球人口的 22%已仔細,若有所思 — 甚至恭敬地與有關的"湯姆板、 資深記者、 專欄作家和亞洲,幾本書籍的作者在他最新的專欄中寫道"太平洋觀點: 現在是時間 — — 但中國不是犯罪."

板、 聯合國首席潘基文剛剛出版的交談及與前泰國總理他信西那瓦,最近交談的作者是在洛杉磯洛約拉瑪利曼大學亞洲及太平洋研究的傑出的學者。

奧巴馬正式開始他的第二個任期,板說他預期"向亞洲樞紐"政策將在輕快迅速進行。"這將是很好。他寫道: 有沒有時間去磨蹭,"。"對於美國和亞洲,現在是時候,如果曾有過一次。"

"如果亞洲不上升的因為幾乎每個專家說,然後我們其餘的人必須被擊沉。亞洲的統計數字令人生畏。這裡是幾個。之前太長的時間,中國將有世界最大經濟體。也許甚至之前,印度將有最多的人口。印尼,常常忽視的西方,具有較高的人均國民收入比印度 — — 與土耳其 — — 得多影響力在伊斯蘭世界中,"他寫道。

專家審查區域、 地區和時區的跨度,警告新美國外交政策需要要仔細重新校準。

他寫道:"如果再校準是幾乎完全基於企圖孤立中國,這項政策將失敗,"。

"什麼是更多,美國應優先考慮轉向中國的方式,中國的每一步將反擊方式的每一步。下行費用都將巨大的、 不必要的悲劇,"板警告。

他還說: 奧巴馬必須參與中國尊重和細微差別。

"他 (奧巴馬) 說擔心事先布希和克林頓政府都太簡單,中國 — — 這可能意味著什麼。事實上,除了幾個失誤,這兩個行政部門得到了的中國的關係更右比錯並將的歷史,所以記"板寫道。

"什麼將會非常諷刺是總統,已知方面任何戰爭作為最不能接受的選項,如果時尚導致衝突,與中國的政策。這一錯誤超過污點將他的手錶。將是一個錯誤的決策比喬治 · 布希總統的不必要的入侵和佔領伊拉克更糟的是,"板警告。

"他 (奧巴馬) 沒有準備競選連任 ;板寫道: 沒有人會打擾叫他弱,其實真正的危險是,美國將採取太那麼斤斤計較亞洲 '支點' 和無意中可能破壞亞洲的穩定時,"。

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 20:32:52 |Display all floors
China non scholar urges China to be aggressive with America.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 20:42:47 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 21:11:38 |Display all floors
raton Post time: 2013-1-23 20:42
There is only one problem with this, Chinese non scholar dont drive and no one in the government t ...

So you also China non scholar?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 21:20:06 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-24 01:41:13 |Display all floors
Your texts always remind me of this....
Original_Boss.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.