Author: chinsyou

World's Happiest Countries   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-26 11:48:15 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-26 11:27
Ah, so i should arange that someone comes and sucks the water out or something. Yeah, i'm clueless ...

Consider making some money in China?
Just consider something at least semi-liveable for that if you might stay longer.
like, e.g. not beijing, at least.
Something like valuable-foreign-manager-enactor
or -european-qc-guy-enactor, to help some of them show some face.
Or qualified-english-teacher-enactor.
Enough Chinese just go by the skin colour.
Just don't participate in any major scams by personal involement,
or be some mule,
out of any desperation.

releasing the water could be fairly easy with some basic skill and common sense,
but you might ask for someone knowing to do that among your friends.
as you also have to take it somewhere (because you don't want to collect it with your carpets, do you?).
expanding water as it freezes explodes the pipes,
if it freezes,
if you release it calcium residues maybe become a big problem some day, not for sure.
I'd rather hope you can afford some iron reserve of oil for frost protection, but I know that's also much more expensive.
Best wishes anyway.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 12:49:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Prometheus2 at 2013-1-26 12:49
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-26 10:12
How much tax do i pay? I'm sure that i pay way more than you do.

We Greeks nowadays (for the last  ...

Yeah I pay zero tax haha, too young so I have it easy. But I think your having trouble because your paying the correct amount, so basically picking up the slack of the tax evaders. It's been estimated that up to a third of the Greek deficit is lost to tax evasion and Greece has half the income tax revenue as a percentage of GDP as the EU average so its clearly a big problem. From what I can tell though, it seems to be the Greek elites that are worst, such as white collar workers and parlimentarians. If these can't change then I can see why the culture is perpetuated and not tackled. What do you think of the Lagarde list and the controversy surrounding that?
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 02:26:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-1-27 02:39
Prometheus2 Post time: 2013-1-26 12:49
Yeah I pay zero tax haha, too young so I have it easy. But I think your having trouble because your ...

The problem with your logic is that you disregard the fact that in the last elections when the people in Greece clearly  wanted change, wanted to change what you talk about in your post, Europe responded with deep cooperation with the current oligarchy in order to keep it in power.

This orchestrated propaganda was soooooooo much that some of it even was made public that it was propaganda (!) aka the talks between Papadimos and the prime minister of Italy (i forget the name) in order to stage a little "play" for the eyes of the Greek people.

The result of this was that mostly old people became affraid and voted less for change than they usually would.
What do you think of the Lagarde list and the controversy surrounding that?

If i had to bet i'd bet that the Greek government (not just the one man that they're trying to prosecute) tried to hide for as long as possible (optimally: forever) their oligarchic friend's deeds. Also, i think that it's largely a show, the only substance would be if they started knocking on the oligarch's doors - until they do that i can't accept that they're doing anything good.

What the Greek Journalist who published the list recently said was interesting.... "The only money that the Greek state has seen from that list is from the tax that my magazine payed". {:soso_e113:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 08:26:24 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-26 03:12
How much tax do i pay? I'm sure that i pay way more than you do.

We Greeks nowadays (for the last  ...
We Greeks nowadays (for the last few years) have to pay added tax for every house we own. I had to pay so much tax that i devided the tax into 8 months to pay it (!) because of that, the tax was ~400 euros per month during those months.

Hmm, I confused so pardon my silly questions... You pay taxes once annually, or you only pay 8 out of 12 months? How much do you earn if you don't mind me asking? Can't just throw a random number out there and expect us to know whether it is unreasonably high or not... And also, don't you have a progressive tax system or something, meaning those who earn little pay a smaller percentage than those who earn more?

I don't mean to be diminishing your problems though, it sound pretty rough what you guys are going through down there, regardless what the reasons are or who's to blame...
Make the latte taste like fiiissshh!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 12:56:27 |Display all floors
safaribehn Post time: 2013-1-27 08:26
Hmm, I confused so pardon my silly questions... You pay taxes once annually, or you only pay 8 o ...
Hmm, I confused so pardon my silly questions... You pay taxes once annually, or you only pay 8 out of 12 months?

We Greeks used to pay once a year (i suspect like most of the western world) then after the taxes suddenly became 2-4 times higher, the average pay ~100-400 euro lower, and all of this while the things we bought remained in roughly the same prices. They gave us the opportunity to split the yearly tax into many months to be able to pay it. Still by statistics that i've read more than 60% of the Greek people are having great difficulties paying the tax, meaning that i'm in better financial condition than most of them.

How much do you earn if you don't mind me asking?

I earn ~600 euros per month, used to earn ~800 before the crisis started.

And also, don't you have a progressive tax system or something, meaning those who earn little pay a smaller percentage than those who earn more?

The progressive tax system doesn't apply in the house/property tax, so you may be for example: Unemployed or a part-time worker who gets payed 250 $ per month and get a huge bill just because you sometime in the past had inherited the house of your grandpa which is in some village somewhere very far away from for example: Athens where you live - and which you use only once a year for vacation if you feel like it.  This is what IMF & EU lenders agreed with our oligarchs - the systematic destruction of the middle class.

I don't mean to be diminishing your problems though, it sound pretty rough what you guys are going through down there, regardless what the reasons are or who's to blame...

...from what i understand through documentaries and articles almost every country that has been through imf programs has been through something simmilar, that's until when they couldn't take any more and exploded.
You can see videos of the infamous argentinian government running for their lives via helicopters from the wrath of their people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 21:47:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by safaribehn at 2013-1-27 16:19
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-27 05:56
We Greeks used to pay once a year (i suspect like most of the western world) then after the taxes ...

Yes that sounds pretty unreasonable, to have almost 70% raw taxes and then additional taxes on top of that related to consumption, which I then understand must be at a bare minimum. Doesn't sound like a good way out of recession. (In Norway we pay taxes every month, except December, thought that was normal as it is more manageable, thus why I asked...) I don't think there's any quick fixes out of this mess so it's gonna be tough for a long time. I don't think you deserve it, but that how it is regardless... There must be a better way than this though.

Property taxes is also quite common. I'm not exactly in favor of that, at least not when it comes to a second, inherited house out in the country somewhere, that is not particularly grand in any way. Those should be exempt, or at least be very low. Wealthy people who own and collect lots of properties for profit should of course pay taxes for them as it is completely different.

On the other hand it is true that Greece have massive debts, right? So how was it before? Did you guys pay enough? What went wrong?

And I agree about the IMF. I'm not aware of any country who's been forced to hand in the rudder to them and been better off for it... That is seriously messed up.
Make the latte taste like fiiissshh!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-28 16:38:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-1-28 16:39
safaribehn Post time: 2013-1-27 21:47
Yes that sounds pretty unreasonable, to have almost 70% raw taxes and then additional taxes on top  ...
On the other hand it is true that Greece have massive debts, right? So how was it before? Did you guys pay enough? What went wrong?

Actually recently (i doubt that this has made the international news) we found out that the data that they provided that made it seem like the situation was very bad back when we joined the "troika saviour program" was made to look MUCH MUCH worse than they actually were!

Personally when things like this come out i tend to believe other believeable conspiracy theories like the one that said that the government was essentialy blackmailed by the Germans with the Christoforakos - siemens list which many think would be the tombstone of the Greek oligarchy if the Germans ever managed to have the decency to give it to the Greek authorities.

Anyway, sure many things went wrong there was more corruption here than the rest of Europe - not much more than Italy though but the main problem was that we had no control of the stiring wheel - we didn't have the options we'd have if we had our own currency. If we had our own currency this would just mean a little bit more inflation.

Overall, this crisis has made Germany have lots of gains both financialy and as far as "who rules europe" - "who's economic policies are applied" etc is concerned. Germany gains a lot by a devalued EURO, the German banks gained a lot from the money of the p.i.i.g.s. that got transfered into their more safe banks, they gain money now when they issue bonds (!) while at the same time loaning Greece with interest etc etc.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.