Views: 22187|Replies: 25

Are there any Chinese New Year’s traditions which impress you a lot?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-17 17:37:13 |Display all floors
   88.jpg

Chinese New Year
, also known as the Spring Festival, is the most important traditional Chinese holiday. The Spring Festival 2013 is on February 9th.

It consists of a period of celebrations, starting on New Year's Day, celebrated on the first day of the first month of the year according to the Chinese lunar calendar and ending with the Lantern Festival, the 15th day of the month.

No one is quite sure exactly when or where the festival originated. Legend has it that once upon a time, there was a monster called Nian that attacked Chinese villages every spring, eating anything that came its way – people, animals, plants and the odd building. One spring, villagers hung red paper on their doors and threw bamboo on a fire when the monster arrived. The monster was so startled by the bright colors and loud crackling noise of the burning bamboo that it turned and fled. Today the word “Nian” is the Chinese word for year.

That is why Chinese people hang red paper signs and lanterns and set off fireworks during Spring Festival.  

Are there any Chinese New Year traditions which impress you a lot?

88.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-18 08:51:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Tommy仔 at 2013-1-18 08:52

In Lunar New Year, children get lucky money from their parents and relatives. But when I was a little kid, my mother always confiscated all my lucky money and claimed that she was helping me to store them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-18 11:04:49 |Display all floors
Tommy仔 Post time: 2013-1-18 08:51
In Lunar New Year, children get lucky money from their parents and relatives. But when I was a littl ...

I am sorry for that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-18 12:55:59 |Display all floors
when I was young, exactly, before 10 years old, I enjoyed Spring Festival wholeheartedly. Lucky money, delicious food and variouus snacks, pretty clothes for new year etc are what we expected most. The days from the eve of spring festival to the latern festival seemed so happy that we might be reluctant to return.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-19 02:05:11 |Display all floors
Speaking of the little red envelopes for the Spring Festival... I have some Chinese friends who run a restaurant and they always invite us to celebrate Spring festival. They have a young son who is just now a little more than 1 year old. (I was out of town last year during the Spring Festival.)

I plan to bring red envelopes for his older sisters (9 and 8) but should I bring one for the little guy?

The money is not the problem. I just want to know if it's appropriate to bring one for a toddler.

Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-19 02:09:47 |Display all floors
One thing that impresses me about Chinese New Year is the food. I have some Chinese friends who run a restaurant in the small town where I live, and they invite me and my family every year to their family dinner on Chinese New Year.

Being in "The South", they serve what we jokingly call "American Chinese food" - much of it is not like what we see in China. During the family Chinese New Year dinner, we have REAL Chinese food, and it's wonderful! It's a very special time for us because we're all very close. My wife used to baby-sit the little girls when they were younger because their parents wanted them to improve their English before they started school (since at home they all speak Mandarin), so we're all quite close. It's nice to be part of the family and to share this wonderful celebration with them and their extended family. It's a big part of our year, even though we are not Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-19 09:22:13 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-1-19 02:05
Speaking of the little red envelopes for the Spring Festival... I have some Chinese friends who run  ...

you should do that...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.