Author: rainyweather

Seeing red over yellow light rule [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-1-6 23:32:01 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2013-1-6 22:35
the only place that i was drivin outside of the US is messico to belize but i dont see any differe ...

If you tried driving in China you would see the differences. In the US you have laws against jaywalkers, China doesn't ( well it does but not enforced), you do not have the volume of electric bicycles, deliver tricycles and scooters piled high with goods. Also too many Chinese drivers tend to forget all the traffic laws as soon as they pass their test.
Give it a try before you start to comment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-7 00:16:48 |Display all floors
I'm a driver, and I hate to haste for the last second of yellow light, for a lot accidents come from it.
So sure I fanatically support the new rule. Some people say the rules run contrary to the natual law to some extent. This , in my vies , is  just the pretext. Actually ,as long as  you consciously slow down when approaching the traffic lights and keeping enough distance from the vehicles ahead, you will have enough time to react and come to a full stop. This should be a good habit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-7 01:42:06 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-1-6 07:32
If you tried driving in China you would see the differences. In the US you have laws against jaywa ...

the traffic in anywhere in asia is like that which is very congested not like in north america & europe but surely the same in south & central america. we DONT have any laws whatsoever about jaywalkin in the US (the only country that i kno is belgium)  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-1-7 01:50:11 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2013-1-7 01:42
the traffic in anywhere in asia is like that which is very congested not like in north america & e ...

I believe that in the US you have the Uniform Vehicle Code which covers this, also please read below which has been taken from a site of US laws.

Jaywalking laws require that pedestrians obey traffic control signals unless otherwise instructed by law enforcement. For example, beginning to cross the street at an intersection with a Don@t Walk sign flashing would violate jaywalking laws.

In addition to traffic signals, jaywalking laws dictate how pedestrians may legally cross the street when no signals are present. Many states require that pedestrians cross only at crosswalks, which can be designated by white lines, or can be unmarked. An unmarked crosswalk is simply an area around 10 to 15 feet wide between two adjacent street corners.

Some state and local laws allow pedestrians to cross certain streets outside of a crosswalk, but require pedestrians to yield to any vehicles when doing so. Generally, pedestrian traffic rules require that pedestrians yield to motorists any time they are outside of a crosswalk.

Many local jaywalking laws forbid crossing an intersection diagonally, unless traffic signals specifically allow diagonal crossing.

Many jaywalking laws forbid walking in the street when a sidewalk is available. Disregarding signs or barricades put up to guide pedestrians also constitutes jaywalking.

Penalties for Jaywalking

Depending on the jurisdiction, jaywalking is either an infraction or a misdemeanor. Police enforce jaywalking laws by issuing citations. The penalty for violating jaywalking laws typically includes a fine similar to a parking ticket. In many jurisdictions, fines increase with repeat jaywalking offenses.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-7 02:01:27 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-1-6 09:50
I believe that in the US you have the Uniform Vehicle Code which covers this, also please read bel ...

have you heard pedestrians come first before any vehicles in the US...of course we have law about jaywalking & unfortunately nobody's reinforced it & i'm sooo surprised to hear you sez jaywalking law in the US (dont you kno you cant put garbage in the street corner trash receptacles but only small thing like your kleenex or gum wrapper paper)  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-7 02:12:55 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2013-1-7 02:01
have you heard pedestrians come first before any vehicles in the US...of course we have law about  ...

The UK also has byelaws about what can be put in a street side rubbish bin, this is to stop people filling them with either business waste or household waste, they are there to keep the streets clean.

I wish that jaywalking laws would be enforced in every country, the law in China calls for a fine of 10RMB, around US$1.50, too low and very very rarely enforced

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-7 02:19:42 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-1-6 10:12
The UK also has byelaws about what can be put in a street side rubbish bin, this is to stop people ...

soree matey i just found out that you're a briton not a yank that's why you mentioned jaywalking law in the US (eventhough it's a law somewhere but pedestrians are king) and i agreed with you totally about that hefty fine for those that violated & HK is a perfect example for street sidewalk barricades & you can cross the street only at the street corners with traffic lights  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.