This post was edited by waiboshu at 2012-12-29 10:27|
- The 26-year-old male vomited blood after eating traditional mala soup
- Doctors at hospital in Wuhan decided soup had burned through stomach
- Man had no history of ulcers or other gastrointestinal disorders
By Daily Mail Reporter
Doctors in China were left dumbfounded when they discovered a hole in a man's stomach wall after he ate a notoriously spicy bowl of soup.
The 26-year-old unnamed male had consumed a mala soup, meaning 'numbing hot', a traditional Chinese dish.
After choosing the spiciest version of the dish from the menu, the man soon experienced a piercing pain in his stomach.
Deadly: After consuming a dish of mala soup, the 26-year-old male was admitted to hospital in Wuhan, China. Doctors concluded that the notoriously spicy soup had burned a hole through his stomach
The unlucky customer soon found himself vomiting blood before being rushed to a local hospital in Wuhan.
Despite having no medical history of ulcers or other gastrointestinal disorders, doctors concluded that the spicy soup had burned a hole through his stomach wall.
According to a report on Japanese site Rocket News 2415 per cent of incidents involving stomachs at the hospital are related to hot pot dishes.
The traditional Chinese dish is prepared using Sichuan pepper, a local spice, and chilli pepper/
The combination is known to cause a numbing sensation when consumed.
Most restaurants serving the dish offer it with varying degrees of spiciness.
According to local reports, many Chinese restaurants have begun to replace the natural, more expensive ingredients in hot pot dishes for cheaper, synthetic additives that replicate the spiciness.