Views: 13082|Replies: 24

Will China and Japan slide into military conflict for Diaoyu Islands? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-20 21:54:23 |Display all floors
China's recent moves in the East China Sea, including sending vessels near territory held by Japan, come as Beijing seeks to assert its claims to the islands known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyu in China. Tensions have escalated just as Japan has elected as its next prime minister, Shinzo Abe─who has a hawkish tilt toward China, although he has remained quiet recently on territorial disputes.

So it's possible that some indispensable collisions would happen between the two nations' armed forces like the issues between two Koreas. I wonder if the politicians have the willingness and courage to deal with the Diaoyu issue or not?  Which side now takes the initiative right now?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-21 01:47:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2012-12-21 01:50
Which side now takes the initiative right now?

Considering that the islands are under Japanese control for MANY years the only country that can do something is China. I mean... what can Japan do? Take the islands from itself?   If China does something then it's highly probable that there will be a Japanese (and maybe American) reaction.
I think that China will continue with the provocations and will slowly escalate the matter, now if that escalation is going to reach to a point where Japan will say... "That's it, we've had enough" i don't know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 14:26:10 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2012-12-21 01:47
Considering that the islands are under Japanese control for MANY years the only country that can do ...

Silly but not unexpected of you not to mention that Ishihara provoked the entire crisis by offering to buy the island.  Back in the 70s, Deng Xiaoping proposed to Japan that the islands should remain status quo until future generations could apply wisdom in resolving the dispute amicably.  It took an unwise and  geriatric Ishihara to upset the apple cart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 16:26:41 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2012-12-22 14:26
Silly but not unexpected of you not to mention that Ishihara provoked the entire crisis by offerin ...

Deng was liberal coz he considered the international situation and reform in China, so he promised that,that seemed like a right decision.
but who is Japan?   a country which lost sovereignty in War2, the negotiation about Diaoyu Island was actually did between China and US
many years passed, the history proved a truth, a country will enlarge the territory when it becomes rich and powerful, so wars cant be avoided, this is the only way to get more territory
so this time, Japan jumped out and wanted to control Diaoyu Island, the minister has prepared for the future War,coz Japan has a powerful friend- USA, but where is China`s friends?
a serious military conflict will happen when both have no any excuses to claim
arise and go forth
english is part of my life

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 20:01:35 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2012-12-22 14:26
Silly but not unexpected of you not to mention that Ishihara provoked the entire crisis by offerin ...

Why would i mention Ishihara when i'm talking about the future?

...you didn't even read what i wrote did you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:03:59 |Display all floors
Japan's provocations over the Diaoyu islands are most likely a part of the US "pivot to Asia". It gives them an excuse to continue their belligerent rhetoric and actions towards China. When questioned on their continuing encirclement of China and increased militarisation of Asia the US will say: "Oh but those tricky Chinese are trying to steal Japan's islands. We must defend our ally and ensure peace in Asia".

Truly western propaganda is the master of turning the truth on it's head.

Sly dogs

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 22:03:33 |Display all floors
"Oh but those tricky Chinese are trying to steal Japan's islands. We must defend our ally and ensure peace in Asia".

Amen!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.