Views: 1962|Replies: 5

11-Year-Old takes Gun to School .... ! [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-19 23:16:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-12-19 23:19

11-year-oldtakes gun to school fearing another mass shooting

Paul Foy, The AssociatedPress
Published Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 7:08PM EST

SALT LAKE CITY -- An 11-year-old boy caught with a gun at school told administrators he brought the weapon to defend himself in case of an attack similar to the mass schoolshooting last week in Connecticut, school officials said Tuesday.

The boy was being heldin juvenile detention on suspicion of possessing a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault after other students at the suburban Salt Lake City elementary school told police he threatened them with the hand gun.

Teachers and administrators at West Kearns Elementary School confronted the boy in class Monday after students reported the weapon, said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley.

The boy had an unloaded gun and ammunition in his backpack, Horsley said.

The boy waved the gun at others during a morning recess, school officials said. Other students, however, didn't report the threat until classes were nearly finished for the day. There was no immediate explanation for the delay, authorities said.

Authorities have not released the child's name. The .22-calibre handgun had been left at the boy's home by a relative, Horsley said.

The child made statements to administrators and mentioned the shooting rampage last week in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 students dead, authorities said.

The boy told others his parents sent him to school with the gun for protection, which his parents deny, Horsley said.

"The family is rocked by this. They have been very forthcoming," Horsley said.

The boy was expected to be charged in juvenile court Tuesday, Horsley said.

"This kid made a mistake, and he knows it," Horsley said. "He feels bad about it, and his parents are co-operating with the investigation. He will not be coming back to this school."

No one was injured.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-20 02:22:17 |Display all floors
Yeah, the Americans have become ultra-sensitive now and at the slightest sign of someone having a gun (who's not in the police / army) near a school they're going crazy. There's a tiny detail though that everyone seems to be missing, the U.S. people have half of the worlds guns (!), so maybe it shouldn't be such a surprise. Also, this article makes it sound like it's the 11-year-old's fault when it obviously and very clearly is his parents fault.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-20 02:36:26 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2012-12-20 02:22
Yeah, the Americans have become ultra-sensitive now and at the slightest sign of someone having a gu ...

I had this ridiculous belief that although Americans mostly all had guns that these guns were not supposed to be left lying around for the kids to pick up ........

You know things like locked cabinets, but obviously I was wrong  ........

This child actually pointed the gun at other kids and told them not to tell and that apparently was why they did not report this till later in the day  ........

Death by shooting accidental or not is almost quotidian in the US and that cannot be right ........

I did think about moving there at one stage but I dislike the idea of buying a gun to protect myself, as this is cause and effect in a way  .........      

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-20 02:53:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2012-12-20 03:03
expatter Post time: 2012-12-20 02:36
I had this ridiculous belief that although Americans mostly all had guns that these guns were not  ...

I'd guess that most of them really do lock their guns up, but: (A) There's not much meaning to owning a gun if you're locking it up somewhere and keeping somewhere else the bullets etc like i suppose the law says that they should. (B) When there's half of the world's guns in one country (i'm not making this number up, this is the actual number, half of the worlds guns are in the U.S.) it doesn't matter much even if 90% of them lock their guns up somewhere safe, there will still be lots of guns unlocked to go around. (C) When a kid grows up with guns around and when the guns are considered cool, bad ass or whatever the kid might not find it such a bad idea to show the family's guns in school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-20 03:00:04 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2012-12-20 02:53
I'd guess that most of them really do lock their guns up, but: (A) There's not much meaning to hav ...

A gun culture will always be nothing more than that I suppose, and expect more bad news from the US as the NRA blocks all attempts to solve this ........

Their answer is the more guns you have then the less chance of big massacres .........

A kind of reverse logic ...... !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-20 03:05:38 |Display all floors
What are the gun ownership laws in China? 100% illegal to own or can you have for hunting purposes and such?
It doesn’t matter what you do, or who you are, or where you live; there are no boundaries if two pe ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.