Views: 13768|Replies: 41

Comment: Most Valuable Poster 2012 .......   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-17 22:03:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-12-18 11:30

Dear CD,

I did post this in the CD 2012 thread but although posted it does not come up as current on the thread in TTCD  ...........

I was a little taken aback when I saw this idea being run again, and I have decided to add a comment to same. Last year this award was subject to the abuse that many democratic actions are, namely those of manipulation and avarice.  Following the results it also became a source of acrimony between different posters and I do not really think it represented what some people thought it would be. I think the main argument against it was that while some are prolific posters there are others who are less frequent but equally deserved of accolade for their loyalty and dedication to this forum. I feel that this award was not an inclusive device which properly represented the diligence of some and probably because of its singularity and the term ‘Most Valuable Member’.  With this latter idea I do not feel that this idea was sufficiently framed as to what that really meant.
For example there were many ideas that members thought were relevant to that idea. For me personally, I took it to mean someone who was a frequent and regular poster who became ‘valuable’ because of that presence and not necessarily because their message or even political slant. However, it became obvious that the vote was subject to various cliques and whilst that is how most human societal interaction works it may well not represent the possibly original pure reasoning of the title ‘ Most Valuable Member’.

To ‘cut-to-the-quick’ I do not feel that in this present form that this award will again be found to be fair and representative and I would therefore like to suggest that if not for this year then next year this award should be slightly more inclusive of those members here who deserve accolade but do not get it. I would propose that instead of a singular award there should be numerous small pendants awarded in several categories which then might lead those winners on to be the members who make-up the ‘lions-share’ of the ‘Most Valuable Member’ award with other non-winning members also adding to that vote for a final outcome.

For example, both ttt, Vincent and others are good supporters of the forum but do not necessarily get involved in the debates and are therefore forgotten even though they frequently get ‘Editor’s Pick’ for their posting and maybe a category of ‘Best Contributor’ could be a sub-award. Another might be the ‘Most Humorous’ award and Piggy and others come to mind here.  Kbay, Revolutioneer, Rudi, Salt'n'Pepper and others frequently post numerous regular posts, and maybe there should be a category for ‘Most Contributions’.   Seneca, Smithi, Robert, Fenix, LGK, laughs at you, Kbay, bandito, the Hermit, Liuyedao, Salt'n'Pepper, Abrahamicus, Tigress, Slimpanda, Lionstar, Ratfink, raton, George and others are very good contributors to deeper debates and maybe there should be a ‘Best Comments Contributor’, and based around personal input rather than copy-and paste. White-Bear comes to mind as someone who is very helpful along with others such as Lone Acorn, DSseeing and others and maybe an award for ‘Most Helpful Member’, might fit here.

I think you might get my drift here that sub-categories would be very much more inclusive to all as many members bring their own ‘invaluableness’ and do not necessarily get a mention, and these winners could then make up the majority of the ‘Most Valued Member’ vote. This Might even make the ‘Most Valued Member’ a better and more transparent process.
If I left your name out of these ideas or misspelled your name, please accept my apologies  ……..     
{:soso_e109:}

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-17 23:40:46 |Display all floors
Oh  ..........   !

Maybe not such a good idea  ........     

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-18 11:33:08 |Display all floors
1584Austin

Sorry I forgot to add you ...........  

Please add Kbay's ghosts on line 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 37, 38 39.40.41.42.43

Exactly  ............  !

Anyone who makes numerous contributions should get the chance to win an award category  ........   {:soso_e181:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-18 21:50:18 |Display all floors
I was sure that someone would add a comment to this especially as I believe it would be more inclusive for the members ............

No one  ...................    ?   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-18 21:54:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by manoj10 at 2012-12-18 18:57

To console Expatter for lack of replies, I add this post as a consolatory gesture

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-18 21:58:27 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2012-12-18 21:54
To console Expatter due to lack of replies, I add this post as a consolatory gesture

Thank you for your concern ..............

Fortunately the lack of interest is just as interesting as some interest ..............

The post however was being buried under a spat about reading permissions  ..............

I thought it worth a last prompt before abandonment  ................

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-12-19 00:41:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2012-12-19 00:53
expatter Post time: 2012-12-18 21:58
Thank you for your concern ..............

Fortunately the lack of interest is just as interesting ...

Participation is why a member should be chosen as valuable.

It doesn't matter if a member has or has not got a huge understanding of certain subjects being discussed but partakes with a few words if fine, as long as the member doesnt spam or just add a smiley face etc OR A DOT,

Even posters of pictures without explanatory words are worthy of mention, as are the 'copy & paste' posters

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.