Views: 4521|Replies: 10

Mo Yan: "The award is a personal thing" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-7 10:39:18 |Display all floors
Mo yan.jpg

Mo Yan, the winner of the 2012 Nobel Prize for Literature, was in a humorous frame of mind as he covered a number of topics during a news conference in Stockholm on Thursday.

Literature, sudden fame, Chinese writers and Swedish friends, were some of the topics Mo addressed.

"The award is a personal thing," Mo, who is in the Swedish capital to collect his prize on Monday, said. The writer reflected on how fame now makes him a target for young female autograph hunters.

His life changed dramatically after he won the award. Prior to that, no one recognized him or even gave him a second look as he cycled the streets of Beijing.

Now there are young girls chasing him to take pictures and ask for autographs. "I realize now I am a celebrity."

"The award goes to a writer, not a country, but I believe my award will arouse interest in literature in China, " Mo said.

Constant media attention can be a huge drawback, he said.

Journalists camp outside his house, he said, and his wife has to invite them in for dumplings.

"My father always said that Mo Yan is the son of a farmer. That will not change just by winning the Noble Prize. I am amused that people chase me for my signature. I am a humble person," he said.

His works, he said, do not have a single theme and change is important in his writing as it is for all writers.

"Seeking change is the pursuit of artistic creation, and it is also about thoughts generated from a changing world. There is no writer who does not change."

The key to producing a great piece of work, he said, is whether a writer can go beyond class and politics, and be compassionate, even with people who level criticism at you behind your back.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-7 10:41:02 |Display all floors
It is a lie to say a writer can produce great work under complete freedom, and it is also false to say that a writer can produce great work under a restricted environment," he said.

"The key is a writer's thoughts deep in his heart."

When asked which book he would recommend to readers in the West, he picked his latest work, Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out.

The book covers peasant life in China from 1950 to 2000.

"It reflects the historic change of contemporary China."

As for censorship, Mo said he disliked it, but believed it was necessary, like intrusive security checks and was present in all societies.

"I resent all kinds of censorship just like I don't like the security check before entering embassies and boarding planes. They even require you to take off your shoes and belts. But I think censorship, just like security checks, is necessary. I think news censorship virtually exists in every country, even though the criteria and standard may vary," he said.

Mo was wearing a black suit and his shirt revealed a tantalizing hint of Chinese culture, according to a leading fashion designer.

"The shirt is designed with a pattern stamped from a Chinese seal with the characters for Mo Yan, his pen name," Chen Bei, creator and designer with leading fashion brand Beistyle, told China Daily. Chen designed all the clothes for Mo and his family for the Stockholm trip.

"The seemingly casual combination of numerous seals on hemp cloth actually follows a design," Chen said, adding she believed clothes speak their own language.

"To Mo, the language is simple and intelligent, it's both international and Chinese, and with great taste," Chen said.

The Beijing-based Chinese designer has spent a decade in Paris and counts French writers, actresses and politicians as her clients.

Chen is adept at combining Chinese elements to Western cuts, which she hopes will send out welcoming signals to the international audience.

She has applied the language of design to Mo and also to outfits for Mo's wife and daughter who traveled with him. Mo is to deliver a keynote lecture on Friday.

He said he spent two days writing his speech, and he plans to "talk about truth and talk about himself".

Contact the writers at meijia@chinadaily.com.cn

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-7 13:50:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 强哥/cy at 2012-12-7 13:52

in my personal opinion,i think what said by MOYAN is incompletely correct,as you know,in China,you as a writer were cultivated by all aspect resouces of supplied from mainland,so the award should belong to mainland

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-7 21:16:44 |Display all floors
i support you idea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 09:25:31 |Display all floors
CD-Moderator:

Talking about lies ....

Why did you delete my post critical to MO ?

Censorship is a kind of Lie, too.
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 09:42:32 |Display all floors
China Nobel winner Mo Yan likens censorship to airport security

By Ed Flanagan, NBC News
BEIJING – When the Swedish Academy selected Chinese writer, Mo Yan, as this year’s recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, the move was hailed by the state media, only two years after blasting the same committee for awarding the peace prize to fellow countryman and outspoken dissident Liu Xiaobo.
However, outside of the country,  some critics pointedly questioning Mo’s Communist Party membership, his unwillingness to speak up for freedom of speech on the mainland and his apparent reluctance to speak out for his fellow laureate. “Giving the award to a writer like this is an insult to humanity and to literature,” declared noted Chinese artist and activist, Ai Weiwei, at the time.

Perhaps sensing the backlash, Mo spoke out the evening his Nobel victory was announced, telling journalists he hoped Liu – who is currently serving an 11-year sentence for his work on a direct call for political liberalization known as Charter 08 – could “achieve his freedom as soon as possible.”
The supportive words seemed to help give Mo the benefit of the doubt among critics and the foreign press, but comments he gave on Thursday regarding Chinese censorship and Liu’s plight have reinvigorated criticism of the acclaimed writer.

The highest principle'
During an interview in Stockholm, Mo surprisingly defended China’s suppression of free speech, saying that censorship should not prevent the truth, but that rumors and defamation “should be censored.”
“But I also hope that censorship, per se, should have the highest principle,” Mo added.
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 09:44:16 |Display all floors
Giving Nobel prize to Mo Yan shameful: dissident
2012/12/05 19:04:47

Taipei, Dec. 5 (CNA) Giving the Nobel Prize in literature to Chinese writer Mo Yan brings shame upon both the writer and the Nobel Committee, Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei said Tuesday.

Ai said the decision to give the award to Mo shows the committee to be crediting a system that is against human rights and press freedom, which is tragic, Ai told Deutschlandradio, a national German radio station.

He pointed out that many authors in China are punished and even imprisoned just for expressing their opinions.

Ai described giving Mo the award as a serious error.

Mo is vice president of the Chinese Writers' Association, which is an official communist organization that backs censorship, Ai said.

He described Mo as a government stooge and ridiculed Beijing's happy response upon news of Mo's award, especially in the face of its earlier criticism of the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to the Dalai Lama and to Liu Xiaobo, one of China's prisoners of conscience.

“He will always stand on the side of power and he does not have one bit of individualism,”Ai said of Mo, according to an Agence France-Presse report days after the announcement by the Nobel Committee.

Mo departed for Sweden earlier in the day to attend the award cer

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.