Views: 12191|Replies: 24

Do you have a Chinese name or a English name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-23 15:52:54 |Display all floors
I just met a new friend, he told me his Chinese name is Laifu(来福), a name given by her mother-in-law. He really like the name which means "good luck is coming".

I can help laughing. In China, the name is more likely be used  to a dog, {:soso_e113:}. Laifu told me it doesn't matter, he like dogs.

So  do you guys have Chinese name or English name, does the name have specific meaning?

Welcome to share your story.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-23 20:12:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jiayangguizi8 at 2012-11-23 20:12

People have names other than English outside of China. For example, you have Korean, Japanese, Thai, Filipino, Indian, Native American, Nigerian, South African, Iranian, Mozambican, Australian Aborigine, Jewish, French, Greek, German, Swedish,  Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Malagasian, Zulu, Danish, Kazhak, Senegalese, Basque, Armenian, Polish and so on.

So no, the world outside of China isn't anglophone and isn't another colony of the UK. And it's utterly ridiculous for people to seek an English name for themselves when they are learning the language. A French who goes to Greece to learn Greek doesn't adopt a Greek name, and vice versa (no matter how complicated and horrible Greek names sound)

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-11-24 20:03:27 |Display all floors
Really what is in a name?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 01:37:02 |Display all floors
Yes, I have a Chinese name, 欧伯培 [Ōu Bópéi] which reflects the initials of my English name: Brian Patrick O'Connell.  欧 from 欧洲, my grandparents emigrated from Ireland to America.  伯 from 伯叔, I'm the eldest in my family, hence uncle.  培 from 培育 or 培植, I'm a teacher, so I nurture and cultivate my students.  I asked my first Chinese teacher for a suggestion.  

When I studied French in 7th grade, the first thing Mme. Morse did in class was have us pick a French name (I chose Felix).  Later, in High School, I studied German and Herr Hutchinson had us choose a German name (I chose Boris).  So actually, I think it is common for second language learners to acquire a name in the target language.  I am often asked by my students for an English Name.  I never just answer off the top of my head.  I will look for names that match the meaning as best as possible, or the sound as close as possible, and listen to how it sounds with the family name.  Then I will let them pick what they like from 2 or 3 choices.

My grandparents' names were changed from Irish to English at immigration.  I never heard them call each other by their given names though, only tseanbhean [old woman] and fear d'aois [old man], or Nana and Pop. {:soso_e120:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 03:06:52 |Display all floors
I once met a Chinese girl, her name was Maud. Now, you have to be 200 years old to be called Maud.....i don't think she realised this when she took the name out of a hat
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 09:06:51 |Display all floors
Hi all,

names are fun, I just went off to see if I could figure out my name in Chinese.
Ha ha, oh deary me, oh well, if that's what it is.
Tell me if this would be an embarrassing  name in China.

慈文英俊

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-25 09:25:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2012-11-25 09:27

I tried to find something for me, that sounds similar to my Polish name.
What do You think about it? I know it is not "traditional" Chinese name, because it consist of 4 words.

pieczec_pryw_50_png_b.png

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.