Views: 30479|Replies: 61

Will we ever be able to move beyond race & nationality?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-21 19:36:52 |Display all floors
There are a lot of good topics on this forum and many of them go to waste.

More often than not, threads degenerate into contests of what race/ nationality is better or worse than the other.

It goes on and on and on and on.

No one is better than the other.  Lets just get that straight.  

We should be able to talk about the issues themselves without all this nationalists crap.  Its really annoying!

Many threads are started just with the intetion to bash another country.  No one really cares about the topics at hand.

We have this great opportunity to exchange ideas and get to know each other better.  We can learn more about each other culture and viewpoints.  

Why can't we rise above this?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-21 22:00:27 |Display all floors
I was enjoying the debate on legalised pot for that very reason - until of course certain forum members (maybe just one!), :) tried to hijack the debate using the usual jingoistic vomit. This despite the fact the debate had no real reason to branch off into race or nationality.

I actually don't think they can help it, its why they use the forum ; nationalistic, racist rants are probably a source of pleasure for some people. They probably derive a misguided sense of self worth and superiority by putting down other nationalistic/races.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-21 22:24:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2012-11-21 22:25

Considering that the earth is millions of years old and that only a century ago we decided that there should be some rules in war i'd say that it's way too early to be pesimistic about it. I think that if enough time passes people will be able to understand that we're all one. I'd say that the only reason to be pesimistic is things like global warming and nukes, meaning that we might not have the time to become mature enough as a species to look beyond race and nationality.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-21 23:18:35 |Display all floors
verdane Post time: 2012-11-21 10:00
I was enjoying the debate on legalised pot for that very reason - until of course certain forum memb ...
I actually don't think they can help it, its why they use the forum ; nationalistic, racist rants are probably a source of pleasure for some people. They probably derive a misguided sense of self worth and superiority by putting down other nationalistic/races.  {:soso_e181:}
9052_522855584409200_1095152507_n.jpg

Beware those who are quick to CENSOR. They are afraid of what they do not know…

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-11-22 01:27:06 |Display all floors
No,we cant.Its within our gene.

God itself decided to divide and rule.

Only in few emotional occassion we are together and perform a fake show.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-22 01:36:32 |Display all floors
aziz Post time: 2012-11-22 01:27
No,we cant.Its within our gene.

God itself decided to divide and rule.

My sociology professor used to say that people automatically will categorize persons into two groups: Like me and not like me.

I have found race isn't so much of an issue if you share many cultural similarities.  How you dress, walk, talk, hobbies, etc will make you more in the 'like me' category than someone of your own race that is on the opposite end of your own values and thinking.

I think what we need to do is to find our commonalities instead of holding on and focusing so much on our differences.

The more I can relate to you as an individual, the more I will see you as 'like me' as opposed to 'not like me'.

And lets face it- there are many things we all share in common regardless of culture, race, religion or nationality.

We've all had a 'first love' and have probably lost a love at some point.

We all love our children even though we may have different methods of raising them.

We all feel the pain of losing a loved one.

We all fear the unknown.

At the core, we are more alike than different.  We just focus too much on what sets us apart from each other.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-23 16:13:27 |Display all floors
My sociology professor

I knew it!
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.