Views: 11901|Replies: 53

Racism is there such a thing …. ?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-14 15:43:11 |Display all floors

Racism is there such a thing …. ?

This idea was broached by our forum colleague honkam in thisthread ……….

Free Talk > Why do westerners get treated so well in China? > http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-662231-1-1.html

honkam post#22

expatter Post time:2010-3-10 23:45
So true of Hollywood, maybe the influence of the elites.

Since you were a fan of the " Kung Fu"series, .................      
that?  "racism", maybe, now lets ask another question ,

who created racism in the first place?, in myopinion if the history of the slave trade , never

occurred then the word "Racism" wouldnot have the impact on society as it is today,

causing a lot of hate around the world.

If you look at people in life , we all have ourown preferences , our likes and dislikes,

for what ever reason in all areas from what food,clothes ,cars  and even people.

That doesn't mean we hate the things we dislike,it is just something not to our liking,

now going back , if you take away the history ofthe slaved trade, then the word "Racism"

would have little impact on the world today .

This is for you my friend Expatter, and I wantyou to think about it .

And I am very interested on your own views onthis matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a very good question …..   !

Is there such a thing as racism ……..  ?

I will post my view on this when this post appears  ..........      

Cheers  ........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-14 15:59:16 |Display all floors
After giving this some thought I am almost convinced that there is no such thing as ‘racism’ and that the very word itself is an invention to stereotype or even close down anyone who would according to another’s conventions be in transgression of their own social modes or even just to close down the ideas or thoughts of another by using a fabricated word.
This would in a way be the same as one who calls another a Judeophobe or anti-Semitic, of which the former encompasses not one but two groups, namely Jews by religion and birthright and Zionists who are not necessarily even Jews, and the latter term is purely nonsense in its own etymology. How can one accuse someone of being against Jews by using an idea which describes people’s of all ethnic backgrounds who lived in a region of the Middle East when one is discussing later immigrants from East Russia who have only a claimed mythological connection to a certain other part of the world.

By the same token, I feel that the term ‘racist’ or even ‘racism’ were ‘coined’ or invented to chastise and cut another down as its derogatory ideal leads one to believe that the accused is sadly lacking in morals and human sensibility. At this point I may look as if I am running myself into a dead end or ‘cul-de-sac’, but here I would venture some ideas on why I would rationalize the former statements.

Racism itself and by its dictionary definition implies the act of hatred, contempt or abuse against another race who are deemed as ‘inferior’, yet we live in a world where both animals and humans exist on a Cline Scale. In the animal world this maybe referred to as a ‘pecking order’ where the strongest and most successful dominate those that are weaker. The behavior of the strongest can be quite vicious and arbitrary to those who do not meet the standards of the strongest and in a way the weaker members are marginalized. We could not call that behavior as ‘racist’ as it does not have the factor of different ethnologies or even origin. Rather this is a behavioural pattern established in nature maybe to ensure the survival of that species. Therefore in human behavioral patterns we can see that the strong dominate the weak and ‘look-down’ on those at the lower end of the Cline Scale, and again this is not and cannot be called racism.

Similarly, if we look at any grouping or social human structure then this pattern is very evident. For example if an ordinary worker were to accidentally be allowed into the Royal Enclosure at Ascot then automatically the higher end group on the Cline would notice immediately that the ‘register’ or language usage of the intruder did not fit with their own, and indeed even mannerisms and behavioural patterns. This person would be subject to rejection and contempt not because of race or colour but rather because from a point of view of convention that person is not part of that particular social grouping. We get exceptions to this when someone has risen from the lower end of the Cline due to the creation of fabulous wealth, but that person will never be truly part of that upper Cline world and will always be subject to hidden abuse or comment. In fact the three tier social system of the British is empirically well-founded in literature and was considered the correct model for any society.

Moreover, in India it is also very clear to see this when we look at the caste system where certain persons exist on a Cline Scale and each in turn ‘looks-down’ on those lower on the Cline and ‘up’ to those on the higher part of the Cline. This cannot be called racism as these people exist and are part of the same race. It is seen as accepted social behavior and is never widely questioned as maybe it fits with my original ideas that within any homogenous grouping there is a scale where there are those at the top and those at the bottom of the social groupings and the top people marginalize those at the bottom and those at the bottom aspire to be at the top.

At this juncture in my ideas I have yet to find the idea of ‘racism’, but rather I see social more’s and conventions which are present in all societies. Therefore it may be time to look more directly at the possibly egregious claim of racism as an accusation and whether it can be founded as a separate identity to normal societal convention.

In the above I have discussed a social ladder where homogenous people fall in (maybe hidden) categories within any society and I have not discussed how this fits with people of different ethnicities. Here I think it would be appropriate to look at which grouping on our planet would be considered as the highest on a Cline Scale in order of strength and power or even those that might be considered as the highest power if we consider the world’s population as one grouping. It is here without any fear of contradiction we can see that ‘white-skinned’ people have been the most successful as a group. They have dominated the planet and subjugated most other groups at some point in time. If we apply the rational that ‘white-people’ are or were considered the top of the Cline and apply a societies own conventions towards its own homogenous population then I feel it is easy to come to the conclusion that dominated people’s will be ‘looked-down’ upon and maybe those dominated may ‘look-up’ as was certainly the case of the British Raj in India. At this juncture, I think we can come to the conclusion that if we look at an ethnic groups societal rules and then apply them to other ethnicities then there will be a natural tendency to see people of other races as the lower part of the social Cline or even inferior. When we apply the word ‘racism’ to this then in reality we are highlighting someone’s place of origin rather than our own societal values which tend to have the same ‘racist’ values in our own homogenous groupings.

This natural tendency to ‘look-down’ on other races as inferior, and maybe due to past subjugation, is an inbred idea which follows the same pattern we hold within our very own society and it is not set in stone and can be easily changed to some extent. I would make the example of Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) who after much success was made an ‘honourary white’, which might tell us something about more about ourselves than we can ever know.

From a white perspective where we have been as shown through our own history books that ‘whites’ were the dominant group at the top of the Cline I believe it is very hard for many to change this perception and it is the foreigner who maybe needs to break those conventions by climbing that Cline just as some do within their own society.

In conclusion, if in our own societal patterns we have groupings which marginalize or even laud each other, then why would this axiomatic idea not stand for those outside of that grouping who are very clearly dissimilar to our own, and if parts of a society can show contempt or respect in its own homogenous grouping then why would the term ‘racist’ be appropriate because those same behavioral patterns flow outside of that group to other groups who are clearly even more different?

In addition, do coloured or ethnically different people treat all their own people with equal respect or do they also have societal structures that marginalize those lower on their own Cline Scale?

If the answer to that is negative then ‘racism’ per se is an ‘extraneous dead-duck’ as an idea and people need to respect all in their own society first before there can ever be any kind of real ‘equality’ between different ethnic groups or races.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-11-14 16:04:39 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-11-14 15:59
After giving this some thought I am almost convinced that there is no such thing as ‘racism’ and t ...

I agree, It's just name calling as I see it.

Being called a fat stinking pig does worry me

I remember a war film of some years ago, where a white guy had a dog called Nigger. That must have made a few Blacks annoyed as that word is unacceptable now BUT WHY?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-14 16:25:11 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2012-11-14 16:04
I agree, It's just name calling as I see it.

Being called a fat stinking pig does worry me

Yes  .........  

The 'stinking' part may be a little unwarranted .........   

That film was called 'The Dam Busters' 617 squadron .........

"Hello Nigger Old Boy ........  "

Also made famous in the Pink Floyd film 'the Wall' ............

The rest is modern day PC gone wild  ........     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-14 16:37:28 |Display all floors
Dear Heinrich,

What are your views on racism ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-14 17:06:59 |Display all floors
Oh dear  ..........   !

I smell  council-house mould, weeks old sweat, stale beer and cigarettes  ............        

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-14 17:24:20 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-11-14 15:59
After giving this some thought I am almost convinced that there is no such thing as ‘racism’ and t ...

I thank Expatter, for his time spent in delving into his own thoughts on this issue,

as I respect his opinions because of his balanced approach on all topics of debate.

The answer to the issue at hand, was not unexpected from me, the reason that I posed the

question to you is that, I knew that you can relay my thoughts better than myself.

Even though my version was more simplistic, and your's more explanatory and in depth.

Words in any language has always been a powerful tool, so when used in the productive sense,

society can benefit. But when used in a negative way, it can be destructive .

In the media today there's hardly a day that goes go by, without "racism" in the tabloids.

This word is commonly used to give sections of the minorities in society, a chance of the balance of

equality, but this feeling of being oppressed because they are of a different colour will not abate.

So why is that so?   In my opinion, the whole world wants to rid itself of racists, it will never happen.

Because everyone in life has their choices of what or who they prefer, I mean ,that's what we all try

to strive for right? "LIBERTY" , a freedom of choice does not mean hate to the ones we reject for

whatever the reasons maybe.

So maybe we should not hound the racists, but rid the word "RACISM", from the English language and

replace it with a more suitable word in it's place , "Unfavourable or Dislike".

The sole purpose of the word "Racism", was to promote a divide and conquer mentality, to further

Imperialism. I may be wrong but that is just my personal take on this matter.

I thank you again  Expatter,

Regards Honkam. p.s Austin is also right that it is just a form of name calling. HaHaHa

a more suitableplace  in it's

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.