Views: 4224|Replies: 9

India May Ban GMO Crop Field Trials for 10 Years [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-25 06:46:46 |Display all floors
Monday, October 22, 2012     

India May Ban GMO Crop Field Trials for 10 Years

Anthony Gucciardi
Activist Post

It has been a devastating month for Monsanto as nations around the globe continue to enact bans and restraints on the company’s genetically modified crop varieties. India, the same country that hit Monsanto with ‘biopiracy’ charges for patenting life on the planet, is the latest nation to take a stand.

The nation’s new expert committee appointed by the Supreme Court of India is now calling upon the Indian government to enact a ban on all GMO crop field trials for the next 10 years.

The new law would forbid any biotech agencies from testing their latest GMO crops on India’s soil, therefore preventing the serious issue of contamination and environmental damage -- contamination that is much more than an unlikely but problematic scenario. Monsanto has been caught in the past contaminating even organic seed varieties, and has gone as far as to plant their experimental crops before the USDA allowed them to. Thankfully, the organic farmers were able to catch the contamination before it spread.

If the contamination was not caught, however, it could have gone anywhere and compromised the very genetic integrity of non-GMO farming grounds. It is for this reason that many companies outside of the United States generally dislike purchasing from U.S. farmers, as they sometimes contain even trace levels of GMO contaminants. More and more we receive reports of farmers being completely cut off from other nations after being found to contain trace levels of GMO contamination.

India is looking to stop this before it becomes much of an issue. At least the expert panel is. The Technical Expert Committee  said that the trials should be stopped immediately until an independent committee made up of experts and stakeholders took a closer look at the serious risks associated with the use of herbicide resistant crops. More specifically, the committee was concerned about their real sustainability. After all, Monsanto’s GMOs are consistently becoming more resistant to chemical herbicides, pesticides, and insecticides.

It has even led a panel of expert scientists to call upon the EPA to take action, fearing that resistant bugs known as rootworms will soon ruin the GMO corn industry as a whole.

Whether or not India will adhere to the recommendations of this committee is not yet known, but other nations certainly have listened to their own panels and experts over the past few weeks. India may soon join the ranks of Russia, Poland, France, Hungary, and Peru in taking a direct stand against Monsanto and GMOs as a whole.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-17 10:38:48 |Display all floors

RE: India May Ban GMO Crop Field Trials for 10 Years

Related Article:

US study feeds kids GM rice

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-19 23:40:22 |Display all floors
Mosanato needs to be kicked out. Sometimes in future they may even test genetic humans

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-20 01:56:29 |Display all floors
Indians cannot even stop widow burning.

So what is India talking about?

What are they saying?

That Indians eat better than Americans?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 00:00:01 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-11-19 22:56
Indians cannot even stop widow burning.

Widow burning is virtually non existent in India now. You must understand that this is 21st century not the 16th.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 16:11:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2012-11-25 16:12

Good for Indian people, and the humanity!  Indian government does  right.
China, should ban GMO as well.   
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 16:53:28 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2012-11-25 16:11
Good for Indian people, and the humanity!  Indian government does  right.
China, should ban GMO as w ...

Indians  as rich as French?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.