Views: 3316|Replies: 4

Invisibility Cloak for Chinese Armies? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-3 03:30:15 |Display all floors
Researchers have created a working invisibility cloak using one of nature’s common yet bizarre phenomena -- the “mirage effect.”

Often portrayed in movies where those stuck in the desert mistakenly “see” water, the so called “mirage effect” is an optical phenomenon in which light rays are bent to produce a displaced image of distant objects or the sky. With the help of carbon nanotubes, researchers were able to replicate this effect to successfully create an invisibility cloak. When the nanotubes are electrically stimulated, the resulting temperature gradient causes light rays to bend away from whatever object is being concealed behind the device, making it appear completely invisible.

invisibility-cloak-reflection.gif

Using these nanotube sheets, concealment can be realized over the entire optical range and rapidly turned on and off at will, using either electrical heating or a pulse of electromagnetic radiation. Metamaterials interact with light in ways that appear to violate the laws of physics. They can bend light around an object as if it weren't there, or narrow the resolution of light microscopes down to a few nanometers. But metamaterials must be painstakingly structured at the nano- and microscales in order to achieve these exotic effects.

invisibility-cloak-combo.jpg

Who will lead the race in this research? China or U.S.?

盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-3 15:43:16 |Display all floors
Nice rain coat.
I remember reading about similar in science magazine when I was a child.   I'll believe it when I'm "not" seeing it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-3 16:01:44 |Display all floors
I'm afraid many colored wolves will don these invisibility coats and hide themselves in ladies' washrooms.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-3 20:31:53 |Display all floors
correction Post time: 2012-10-3 16:01
I'm afraid many colored wolves will don these invisibility coats and hide themselves in ladies' wash ...

hahaha....i thought of doing that too~
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-4 01:41:59 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-10-4 01:22
Technology and weaponary alone can't win wars. It needs the crucial ingredient of 'COURAGE'.
Happily ...

balls are of utmost importance of course, one can not win war without big balls.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.