Views: 4445|Replies: 6

The US is afraid to defend Japan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-22 11:22:40 |Display all floors
Let us face it.    If the US were to send an aircraft carrier to the Diao Yu in order to defend Japanese maritime claims,  that US aircraft carrier would definitely get sunk by Chinese missiles.

In all probability,   we could probably send a minimum of 1,000 anti ship missiles simultaneously targeted against that US aircraft carrier near the Diao Yu.

Let me see what we can launch against that US aircraft carrier.

possibly 400 land based based antiship missiles
another 160 aircraft launched antiship missiles
another 420 sea launched antiship missiles from destroyers,  frigates and missile boats
another 80 submarine launched antiship missiles
and a dozen DF 21D ballistic missiles

There is no way that US aircraft carrier near the Diao Yu could escape being sunk by Chinese missiles.

Therefore,  the US had no choice but to give up trying to defend Japan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-22 11:44:48 |Display all floors
Would be a pretty stupid strategic decision to launch 'em all at once though

But to be honest, I don't think the US gives a shit. And why should they? Whether these islands continues to belong to Japan or fall back to China is of no consequence as to the future security of Japan. The US has no obligation to back Japan in this petty dispute. And anyone would be afraid of war with China, and so should China.
Make the latte taste like fiiissshh!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-22 11:51:41 |Display all floors
We don't want war.

We want to build friendly relations with the US.

But you have to admit that China already has 2 times the real GDP of the US and 3 times the industrial production capabilities of the US today.   Therefore,  the world should recognize that China is already 2 times more powerful than the US today.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-22 12:38:54 |Display all floors
zhonghua1 Post time: 2012-9-22 04:51
We don't want war.

We want to build friendly relations with the US.

I know, and that's why I think it's quite astonishing that so many on this forum seems convinced that the US wants war with China. No one wants war with China, that would be stupid. I do think the US have better fighting power than you guys still, due to their ridiculous defense spendings, but the cost would be so high, on both sides, it's not worth thinking about. Besides the US could never afford to keep China under occupation. It would take a lot of bad decision making to end up down that road though, and despite all disagreements, I don't think there's much to worry about.

China is different however, so naturally people are concerned about how China respond to it's new power and influence on the international arena in the future. We don't expect you to go 'policing' all over the place, US style, but when China claims that it owns the entire South China sea, with no regards to the legitimate interests of other surrounding states, it doesn't resound well in foreign eyes. It cannot be seen as anything but a blatant disregard of well established norms, and that will always be perceived as a threat.
Make the latte taste like fiiissshh!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-22 13:35:15 |Display all floors
The USA does not want war with China, but your thread is full of bias and pushing your own agenda. If there was a war China's current military power would not stand a chance. It may change in time, but not right now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-22 22:24:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2012-9-22 22:34
safaribehn Post time: 2012-9-22 12:38
I know, and that's why I think it's quite astonishing that so many on this forum seems convinced t ...

I think you are right that the US does not want a war either.  But when US offiicials keep reminding China that Diaoyutai is covered by its Mutual Defense Treaty with Japan, it sends a different message, which is that whatever, whatever, Japan does, such as "nationalizing" Diaoyutai, the US will back Japan up with its entire military force.  And, stupid as this may sound to you, since the Mutual Defense Treaty was crafted after the Korean War to prevent Japan from being invaded, it is now being used to ignite a Japanese War Against China instead.  From being a mutual DEFENSE treaty, it is being used as a cover for AGGRESSION by Japan against China.  

It should be noted that Diaoyutai was orignally claimed by the Republic of China (Taiwan), before the People's Republic of China was founded in 1949, and still is being claimed by Taiwan, so this is not really a Cold War issue.  It is a matter of favoritism issue, of the US being with Japan against both the Democratic Taiwanese Chinese and the Communist Mainland Chinese, i.e., it is a Territorial War issue, no matter how the war is being justified in the Japanese and Western press.  

As for Zhonghua1, he is just a China-baiter.  He does not really give a sh1t about China.  He just wants to make China look as threatening as possible, but also as stupid as possible, listing down hardwares that might scare the Philippines, but would not worry the US in the least bit.  He is probably a Filipino or Taiwanese separatist trying to misrepresent China's real strength, intention, and legitimate sovereignty over Diaoyu.  China may be able to defend itself on the mainland, but it can barely project its power to Diaoyu, which is less than 200 miles from its shores.  To construe such "power" as that of a world class navy is a hyperbole all too easy to shoot down, as the Japanese coast guard has been able to demonstrate all this time.  If China has even one half the power of the US, it could have just landed its marines on Diaoyu and sent the Japanese coast guards packing overnight.  And, no US official would have insisted that Diaoyutai is covered under the Mutual Defense Treaty with Japan.  On the contrary, the same fellows would have reminded Japan that the Mutual Defense Treaty does not cover Japan's territorial disputes with other sovereign countries, as its Article 1 explicitly stated.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-8 09:15:20 |Display all floors
I don't think US is afraid of any nation. They are still the No. 1 superpower in the world. And what do they have to be afraid of Chinese substandard vessels which are obviously just knockoffs of Russian engineering? What a joke!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.