Views: 19028|Replies: 42

What's the proudest thing you’ve done?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-13 15:52:37 |Display all floors
200credit
There are always moments in life when we are proud to achieve something thought impossible the day before.

It may have been finishing a five mile marathon, travel or throwing a successful party for mom and dad. Working up the courage to bungee jump or passing that final exam.

The end result does not matter. It was the pride of completing the task that pleased you and your loved ones. Please share with us your personal achievements or any moment you have felt pride in your life.  

we will choose to reward 5 best replies 200 credits each for their participation.  

thumb up.jpg

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-9-13 17:50:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2012-9-14 14:43

I can't say that I'm proud of myself for saving my Dad's life, because that was what I was supposed to do as a son. But when I look back, I feel proud how I managed to overcome the difficulties and get myself out of the plight.

Years ago, when I was a flat broke recent grad working for a private company with 1,200 rmb(190$)a month, my father was seriously ill.

He thought the old lung disease struck back again. he had used to have a lung disease and he turned out to be well after a major operation in 1995. When I went back home to see him duing the Spring Festival, I saw how serious the illness was. He just could't stop coughing, sitting up all night.

He wouldn't go to the hospital because our family was still indebted. At that time I owed my friends money too because I had to borrow money for the tuition fee prior to the graduation. And it seemed that the medicine prescribed by the local doctor didn't work at all.

When my uncle told me that my father probably had maximum a year to live, I felt my heart was pierced by a thousand needles. Before the Spring Festival, I called my boss of the company I was working for to borrow money. He promised to lend me 10,000 yuan. It was such a relief.

When I got home and told my Dad that I was going to take him to a good hospital in Harbin for better treatments. I could clearly see the tears in his eyes. My mother insisted on leaving after the festival, so on the second day after it, I took him to the hospital.

But the good doctors were all on holiday. The diagnosis wouldn't be carried out untill the tenth day of the Festival. So to make it short. 10,000 didn't last long. So I kept on borrowing from friends, co-workers. My relatives came to help too.

My father was diagnosed as the advanced stage of Pulmonary tuberculosis. So the first diagnosis some ten years ago may have been wrong. My father had another major operation and had the lung on the left side removed.

I borrowed around 40,000 in total. I've paid all that back and my father recovered fine.
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-13 18:01:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2012-9-13 18:16

Like ancient Greeks says: "let Your right hand don't know what left have done"

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-9-13 18:04:58 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-9-13 18:01
Like "Greeks says: let Your right hand don't know what left have done"

too profound for me.

What does it mean exactly?
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-13 18:11:12 |Display all floors
That the modesty is good ;)

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-9-13 19:38:52 |Display all floors
I will.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-9-13 21:04:36 |Display all floors
My Proud.

We six were cleaning the cadet room to prepare a store room for dumping relief goods.
Its 20 dec, 1971.A new country born in the world named Bangladesh on 16 december.I just back from village home as bombing start from war plane make our life unsafe.Now we are free from Pakistani army.90000 Pak army are in prison.We work hard to facilitate for distributing relief  item for the refugee who started coming back from Indian refugee camp.All new Japanese truck carry them to our largest school building which is using as transit camp.
All of us are teen aged 14-16 and we are boy scout of this govt school.Our leader can manage six of us.
Next day we gone to a big house and found some Italian men are busy in work.Our rover scouts were there.Soon we take our task and instruction how to handle the distribution.We become a member of International Committee of Red Cross,Geneva.Goods started to comes in our store.So do thousands of refugee mainly from hindu religion victim of the liberation war.I can imagine to see their face how terrible time they passed.
We distribute cloths,soap,soy powder,egg powder,antiseptic  and skin ointment.There are huge line.Sometimes they become unruly and we have to take dummy rifle in hand to keep them quite.It did work well.We work for whole day with a break for one hour lunch break.On the other side some volunteers cooking rice with lintel for thousand refugees.Usually these people stay one night and next day they start another journey by launch ,steamer,ferry.Most of these people are from villages where there are no road communication for truck.We continuously work in the base station for 15 days serving 1 million transit refugee.I have to report my mother about my work and she agreed with her sons job.
After a week we started for village head quarter with huge quantity of staple food and blanket.My mother worriedly take the account of the place we are going and send someone to the ICRC office and then she approved.Without my moms support I cant be a good volunteer.
We stay in a hut as most of the houses been burnt by looters and peoples left the place 9 months ago.
Me alongwith a senior official take our night meal provided by local Hindu people.We two open bundle of blanket and prepare our bed.This is the first night I am going to spend a night without mom or brothers.
On the next day I took the register and the senior man conduct distributing the dry food and blanket.Many local volunteers work with us.Its become impossible for us to do work smoothly.Many cried to me that she has nothing except her wearing cloths.I tried to perform as soon as possible.For god sake we were inside a bunglow and woking through window.Otherwise they would lift us with them.Thousands start fighting among them as many violet their line.Local leaders put all efforts to keep them quiet.The police members hasn’t reported yet as many fled start the war with Pak army.But our security ensured by local leaders.
The night I slept with so much tiredness that I cant express.
Next day we found more thousands are make a queue from the early morning.After breakfast we started another busy day.These people who offer us food even a week ago they were in India.We feel ashamed but there are no option to arrange food for us.Its a brocken township.No teastall,or restaurant restored.Because peoples have no money in their pocket.We work hard throughout the day.The local govt head arrived and meet with us as he also fled during the war.We dine at his home in the night.On the next day we hand over few hundred tonnes of food and tens of thousand blanket to the local govt and let them learn how to do it.Many worked with us for last two days.
In the afternoon we two board on a trawler for our city left behind our temporary job place.
At the age of 14 I did some job which is remarkable for my lifetime.I always pray for my beloved mother
Whose inspiration give me forces to do so.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.