Author: WhiteBear

[Recipes]: expat cuisine in China - recipes by White Bear   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-31 09:44:40 |Display all floors
Sxdun Post time: 2012-10-24 15:14
I just come here, and write my first reply for you.

I carefully read your firstcourse. I think you  ...

Thank You for the advice :)

I never fried eggs that way (mixing it with some liquid), but it was really nice.

First I separated whites from yolks, then mixed whites with some best quality soy sauce and garlic (not even "beaten", just well mixed).

then, when frying whites - I added yolks at the top

and finaly served with quick-pan-fried leaves (spiced with preserved hot peppers)
over the rice

Taste was a little surprising... like some souffle or omelette.
Next time I'll try to make it a bit more "omelette-like" by beating whites (maybe with a bit of flour?), and then adding soy sauce and other ingredients.

Thank You again, for a tasty idea {:soso_e181:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-31 10:57:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lionstar at 2012-10-31 11:33

"1can of bear" UMMD, xiexie, which kind of bear? isn´t canned bear forbidden?

some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-31 11:26:48 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-10-31 09:44
Thank You for the advice :)

I never fried eggs that way (mixing it with some liquid), but it was  ...

I am very glad to hear that. Look the photo, I also want to taste your breakfirst.

Next you can do it not to add wheat powder. Maybe better again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-31 11:58:05 |Display all floors
Now - something for very begginers, who want to cook delicious rice with no problem.

Mostly - advices for laowais (like me).

You can cook the rice as always:
- clean the rice (wash it with the water until it water will be clear)
- put it in the pot
- add water to reach about 2 cm above level of rice
- cook it over medium heat until water will be a bit below the rice level
- cover, and keep over a very low heat for about 10 minutes
- keep covered when heat turned off for another 15-30 minutes untill it will be fully done (I used to cover it under some insulation - to keep heat)

Or You can do it quick and easy, with no need to spend half an hour (or more) taking care if all goes right.

But wait! This is not all...

I was taught to use salted water, and add some fat when cooking rice (usually - tablespoon of fresh butter), to make it tasty, and with separated grains.

Here in China I discovered much better way, that don't "kill" the natural taste of rice - just forget the butter and salt.
Rice itself have delicate, a bit sweet taste, and when cooked well - there is no need to be affraid of making a "goo" if cooked too long, or with a little too much water.
Using "2cm above rice" water amount, and then letting it rest for some time before eat is quite good way.

Since I arrived to China - I wanted to make it easier.

First - I used usuall pot, over the induction heater. But my induction heater "limits the power" only by "pulsing" one standard heat. Result - rice (or any other long-cooked dish) can be burned, if You don't take special care.

Second way - was small electric cooking pot, with thermostatic feature, that can set it to keep food from just warm, to the non-stop boiling - in seamless scale.
Very usefull for cooking soups, stews, and also rice - just have to lower the temperature set in "second phase".

And finally - I decided to be more lazy, and I bought slow cooker.

For a long time I was comparing - from cheapest models "rice only" to the most advanced fully automatic, with in-build computer, that probably exceeded my first PC power (286, 6/12MHz CPU)...

When "the day came" I decided for a model that have 2 basic functions - rice cooking, and constant cooking (stew, soup...), is thermostatic, and have some clever features (like detachable container that collects water dropping from the lid, non-sticking cooking container...).

I don't care about the brand - I just choose the one that was in "promotion price", and was quite good quality.

_______

So, how to cook the rice in it?

First off course You should know how does it works?.

All You have to know is:

- heats when filled in and closed

- don't work when open and empty

- rice on the left

- soup on the right.

- if Your cooker don't have that swith - it will be also good for many dishes (as I practiced) including soups

Now let's go straight to the cooking.

After trying the same amount of water as in "normal" cooking (2 cm above rice level) - rice was to "sticky", so i decided to use exactly the same volume of washed (and then drained) rice, and clean water. Now the rice (long grain) is soft and with separated grains.

Cleaning the rice.

Wash it well! If You don't care to this part of cooking - it will be to sticky, or worst...

Selection of rice - best is with equaly clean grains, with as few white places as possible, but You don't have to be so picky. Any rice that I bought on the market was usable.

Now - clean it well in large amount of water. If in the bowl - change a water few times.

First it looks like that.

but it is ready to process, when it is like that - water should be clean.

Now put the rice into the "inner pot" of slow-cooker, and add equal volume of water.
Best off course is pure bottled water. It really is the case!
Once I used by misstake a water from the tap... and difference was too obvious.

Now - close the lid, connect slowcooker to the power, set in on rice (swith to the left - to match 米 character), and pull the main lever down - turning "Machine" on.

And that's it. Now You can go for a walk, or check the e-mail.
I used to let it work for about one hour.

In that time: after 10-15 minutes, when watter boils-out and soaks the rice, it switches to the "keep warm" mode, and let the rice to finish cooking. Then it should rest for some time. For all process - one hour is (for me) perfect.

I tried how long it can keep cooked rice with almost the same temperature and "shape", and after 5 hours rice was still almost perfect.

Ok, time to serve {:soso_e161:}

Move the rice with chopsticks, to separate the grains, and You can serve it right away.

Of course You can also let it in. Even with turned off power it can keep the rice hot for hour or two.

And that's it :)

Have a nice cooking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-31 19:20:48 |Display all floors
WhiteRiceBear  ready to be eaten-up.....

some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-31 19:54:34 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2012-10-31 10:57
"1can of bear" UMMD, xiexie, which kind of bear? isn´t canned bear forbidden?

oh... yess... I'm happy that I didn't misspell filling with the feeling ....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-31 20:02:49 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-9-2 17:52
(hot) Fish on theBed.

Our fishwill just get hot, waiting for us on the warm bed...

Very good,mr.bear,Bravo! The first dish is very easy to cook. I don't like cooking,but that one is just easy. You are a good cook.
I want to exit from CD

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.