Author: sansukong

US study feeds kids GM rice [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-29 02:22:00 |Display all floors
Now, it's true that GMOs have been proven safe in one sense: No one, to the best of my knowledge, has ever dropped dead from drinking, say, a Coke sweetened with high-fructose syrup from GMO corn, or from peanut butter tarted up with soy oil. But that just means GMOs don't have what scientists call "acute" effects—severe ones that you notice right away.

But what about "chronic" effects, ones that come on gradually and can't be easily tied to any one thing? Here we are eating in the the dark. Awash in added sweeteners and fats, the US diet in the aggregate is dismal. Nutrition-related maladies like diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and pancreatic and kidney cancers have been rising for decades and continue lurching upward—as as do rates of food allergies. Life expectancy, after decades of gains, has stagnated—at a level well below those of other industrialized countries.

So are GMOs adding subtly to to this sea of dysfunction? The French researchers' study (full text), published in the US journal Food and Chemical Toxicity, raises concerns. The study surely counts as the most ambitious and comprehensive safety assessment of GMOs ever conducted. It involved 200 rats and spanned two years, the life expectancy the particular kind of rat used. The longest-running previous study lasted 240 days, Michael Hansen, senior staff scientist at Consumers Union and an expert on GMO research, told me. Industry-funded studies typically last just 90 days, he added.

The researchers sought to determine how eating Monsanto's Roundup Ready corn affected rats' health. And they wanted to figure out whether any effects came from the corn itself or any Roundup traces that might come with it. So they separated 200 rats into ten groups: three that had part of their standard lab-rat diet replaced at varying levels (maximum 33 percent) with Roundup Ready corn that had been treated with Roundup in the field; three getting the same feed protocol, but with untreated Roundup Ready corn; three getting no GMO corn but tiny amounts of Roundup in their drinking water at varying levels; and one control group ate two-thirds standard lab-rat chow and one-third non-GMO corn. Each group contained 10 females and 10 males.

So what happened? The researchers say their results, summarized here, show "severe adverse health effects including mammary tumors and kidney and liver damage, leading to premature death," in both from both Roundup Ready corn and Roundup itself, "whether they were used separately or together." Interestingly, almost all of the ill effects manifested after 90 days—the industry's preferred length for its own feeding studies. By the end of the study, the researchers report, "50 percent-80 percent of the females had developed large tumors compared to 30 percent in the control group." As for males, "Liver congestions and necrosis were 2.5 to 5.5 times higher than in the control group … [and] there were also 1. –2.3 times more instances of 'marked and severe' kidney disease." Overall, among the rats receiving GMO and/or Roundup, "Up to 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, before deaths could be put down to normal ageing, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group."

To drive its point home, the study publication includes several photos of rats with grotesquely large tumors.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-29 02:44:16 |Display all floors
swede Post time: 2013-6-29 02:22
Now, it's true that GMOs have been proven safe in one sense: No one, to the best of my knowledge, ha ...

We understand the bio chemical process why sugar is both a fuel and a poison if excessive.......some thing like CO2 to the environment.

But no one has been able to explain the bio chemical process why GM food is unhealthy......and no one has been able to show it is unhealthy.

The process is simple. Eat rat don't turn you into a rat. The genetic information is destroyed.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-29 06:44:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by swede at 2013-6-29 06:49
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-6-29 02:44
We understand the bio chemical process why sugar is both a fuel and a poison if excessive.......so ...

You do not comprehend English or you would know the results of the French test.

"So what happened? The researchers say their results, summarized here, show "severe adverse health effects including mammary tumors and kidney and liver damage, leading to premature death," in both from both Roundup Ready corn and Roundup itself, "

These are the things you will happily give to your children so you wont be bothered by them in the years to come, and your grandchildren the little retarded brats will be institutionalized away from bothering you.  Then you can thank Monsanto and be happy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-29 09:56:32 |Display all floors
swede Post time: 2013-6-29 06:44
You do not comprehend English or you would know the results of the French test.

"So what happened? ...

Science is based on ability to duplicate the results.

If it is unreliable results, it is not science.

Especially so if no one can answer the why question.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-29 09:58:43 |Display all floors
swede Post time: 2013-6-29 02:21
Revolutionar, please go ahead and eat more Monsanto poison GMO food, you can prove it is safe by  ...

You can proof your beliefs by not eating any thing while in China ......because all chicken, fish and pork in China is raised on GM grains.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-29 10:07:07 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-6-29 09:56
Science is based on ability to duplicate the results.

If it is unreliable results, it is not scie ...

So good?  You will keep on eating the GMO food??  Good boy, keep it up.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-29 10:12:58 |Display all floors
swede Post time: 2013-6-29 10:07
So good?  You will keep on eating the GMO food??  Good boy, keep it up.

And don't forget not to eat any thing while in China , ok?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.