Author: expatter

Mao: The Unknown Story (Jung, Halliday) …....   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-8-7 21:58:13 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-8-7 17:05
That is only a fraction of the truth, Expatter.

This thread is a PROVOCATION, and you announced i ...

Notice the way you vituperate when I call Jung Chang and Jon Halliday liars and use it as a shield, when you actually do this to other authors such as Gavin Menzies.

I know you are ‘special’ with special needs and I can see quite plainly in that coconut shell you call a head that any book which slates China is brilliant and any that praise China is written by a liar  ……..

That is normally the sign of a commensurate liar and a buffoon such as you in the first place  ……….

This whole thread is, apparently, a vendetta against those who have expressed respect for Jung CHang (for example myself) by questioning your right to bad-mouth her as a "liar" in another thread.

Here is your version hypocrite  .........

Another Day In The Life Of Another Laowai...

………..  and "1421": I had set out to list all those  larky exaggerations, false spoors, misleading speculations and plain lies for which Gavin Menzies has come to be noted. I was on page 122 in his work and had found 43 implausibilities and impossibilites.  

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 21:58:39 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-8-7 21:51
OK ………

I have decided not to continue with this thread for the meantime.

Are the authors still alive ?  I couldn't be arsed to check BUT..

Its a favourite trick of some radio stations here to wind up famed people, to try to get them to go on air-defend themselves and their opinions.

The truth-with a bit of hyperbole sells more books.

You never know.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-8-7 21:59:37 |Display all floors
Now to finish off for a while  ………

In the book Mao: The Unknown Story the authors tell us this …….

“We can now say with assurance how many people Mao was ready to dispense with… . On 21 November 1958, talking to his inner circle about the labour-intensive projects like waterworks and making ‘steel’, and tacitly, almost casually, assuming a context where peasants had too little to eat and were being worked to exhaustion, Mao said: ‘Working like this, with all these projects, half of China may well have to die. If not half, one-third, or one-tenth —- 50 million —- die.’ Aware that these remarks might sound too shocking, he tried to shirk his own responsibility. ‘Fifty million deaths’, he went on, ‘I could be fired, and I might even lose my head … but if you insist, I’ll let you do it, and you can’t blame me when people die’.” (p. 457 – 458)

And the first line of this, “We can now say with assurance how many people Mao was ready to dispense with …………”

Especially, prepared for you ……  Yes you ……..  The half-baked potato heads  ………..

Now this is the oft parroted phrase you will get from pseudo-literate Brits all red from the booze and hanging around in pubs like hemorrhoids, trying to make themselves look literate. The phrase gets passed along and around and becomes the stuff of legends as those half-baked potato heads misquote it till it becomes, ‘Mao wanted to kill all the people’, or ‘Mao wanted to kill 50 million and planned it’.

Then each one of those half-baked-potato heads place this knowledge above God as the total and biggest thing they think they know because they want it to be so.

They swish out this little phrase whilst on the internet as if to say, ‘Cor I ain’t half clever aren’t I?’ …………   

But they are not because  ……………

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 22:01:58 |Display all floors
The real quotation is taken from Mao’s speech in the politburo meeting in Wuchang, 21st  November 1958. The honest translation including the context should be as follows:

“Do not pursuit the vanity, and get a disaster. We should reduce the amount of our task. On the waterworks, the whole nation accomplished 50 billion cubic meters of earth in the last winter and this spring, but for this winter and the next spring, the plan is 190 billion, three times more. There are various other tasks, steel, iron, copper, aluminum, coal, transport, machinery, chemicals, how much labor and financial resource needed?

Working like this, I am afraid that, half of China may well have to die. If not half, one-third, or one-tenth —- 50 million deaths. 50 million deaths, if you are not fired, at least I will be. Should we do so much? It is ok if you really want, but the principle is no death. If you insist, I cannot stop you, but I should not be killed when people die. Next year’s plan is to produce 30 million tons of steel, should we plan so much? Can we do it? How many people must work for it? Will people die? We should lower our tone in this meeting, cool the air down. The string of the Huchin (a Chinese instrument) should not be pulled too tightly. There is a risk of breaking down.”

I think that speaks for itself where Mao is asking (note not telling) his colleagues if they are pushing people to hard, and he did not want the blame for it. Neither did he want the loss of even one life ……..

In the book Mao: The Unknown Story, the authors have deliberately shortened the citation to have a very dark meaning and sold it to the half-baked-potato heads who believe it as true.

What the authors have done is despicable, fraudulent and libelous and something that the likes of David Irving got 3 years in jail for. But not these authors ….. No ….. !
They are praised as being trustworthy and credible by the wooden-tops that are politically supine and cerebrally challenged.

Could it be that liars respect other liars ……..   ?

Whatever, the truth no respected author would shorten a citation like this just to make money and satiate their own personal hated, and also show at the same time in writing that they are just proven (in writing) liars  …….

QED …….

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 22:04:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-8-7 22:05
St_George Post time: 2012-8-7 21:58
Are the authors still alive ?  I couldn't be arsed to check BUT..

Its a favourite trick of some r ...

Hi George ..........

Yes there are and if I was staying in the thread I would give you some interview links where JC was left squirming at some of the questions  ..........

But I am off now and finished with it for the moment  ........   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 22:21:09 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2012-8-7 16:59
You´re dreaming my friend. I told the CD management long time ago that the only purpose of Seneca ...

Same could be said of you. C'mon, what have you ever contributed to this Forum? Not counting lies & personal attacks.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 22:38:38 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-8-7 22:01
The real quotation is taken from Mao’s speech in the politburo meeting in Wuchang, 21st  November 1 ...

"David Irving"

In the end, it's always the Jews with you lot & your ghosts...

QED
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.