Views: 5742|Replies: 18

HILARITY - Warship runs aground in someone else's waters! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-13 19:06:29 |Display all floors
A Chinese warship has run aground while patrolling contested waters adjacent to the Philippines in the South China Sea.
The frigate pinned itself to a reef last night at Half Moon Shoal, on the south-eastern edge of the Spratly Islands, and remains "thoroughly stuck", according to Western diplomatic sources shortly after midday local time, or 2pm AEST.
Salvage operations could be diplomatically challenging, given the vessel appears to have run aground within 200 kilometres of the Philippines coast, which is squarely within what Manila claims to be its Exclusive Economic Zone.
The stricken People's Liberation Army Navy vessel, believed to be No. 560, a Jianghu-class frigate, has in the past been involved in aggressively discouraging Filipino fishing boats from the area.
Advertisement
The accident could not have come at a more embarrassing moment for the Chinese leadership, who have been pressing territorial claims and flexing the country's muscle ahead of a leadership transition later this year.
Today's meeting of the Association of South-East Asian Nations in Cambodia ended in disarray, without a code of conduct for resolving conflicts in the South China Sea, following robust intervention from China.
Also this week, China yesterday dispatched one of its largest-ever fishing expeditions from Hainan Island to another disputed archipelago in the South China Sea.
Earlier in the week, PLA generals and top foreign policy advisers urged China to do more to press its claims.
Cui Liru, president of the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, a leading think tank that reports to the main intelligence department, said Beijing had previously focused too much on seeking common ground with its neighbours and putting disputes on the shelf.
"In the foreseeable future, say at least in five years, the Asia-Pacific region will still be showing every feature of a transitional period, which is characterised by a certain level of chaos," he said.
China's ministry of foreign affairs was not immediately available for comment.

w w w . theage. c o m . a u/world/embarrassment-as-chinese-frigate-runs-aground-20120713-220r8  .    h t m l #ixzz20V2ByRkU
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-13 20:55:25 |Display all floors
HILARITY??
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-13 22:27:18 |Display all floors
Chinese GPS units have been known for their lack of accuracy.
Ptolly use them on their missles too
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-13 23:09:01 |Display all floors
does not matter
the ship is staying and by so making a statement.China will send more and more ships to help out and the Fillipinos can just watch
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-14 08:08:01 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2012-7-13 23:27
Chinese GPS units have been known for their lack of accuracy.
Ptolly use them on their missles too  ...

Don't cry, the Feb. 2009 USS Port Royal Cruiser grounding set them back $18 million in repairs...

The ship's fathometer was broken, the grounding was caused by a combination of a misread navigation system, a sleep-deprived commanding officer, broken equipment, and an inexperienced and dysfunctional bridge team...
Three times the VMS dead-reckoned the ship's location, mistakenly reporting the ship's location as 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from its actual position...
Wikipedia

and one of the Royal Navy's flagship submarines ran aground off the Isle of Skye because the officer on the bridge was not using the right radar, did not have a chart and was unused to navigating in the dark, an official inquiry has concluded...

that should do...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-14 09:34:06 |Display all floors
I have figured out how China plans to stop the Japananians and Philipinoanians on the island issues.
They will simply crash all their boats into them, preventing access
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-14 14:02:21 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2012-7-14 10:34
I have figured out how China plans to stop the Japananians and Philipinoanians on the island issues. ...

I called my grandson's spouse an interpreter, and she reckons [Philipinoanians] is not interpretable...
when I mentioned [Japananians], she reckons only a 'racist' would talk like that, must hate Asian people...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.