Views: 2439|Replies: 5

Foreign holdings of US debt hit record high [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-17 06:45:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sansukong at 2012-6-17 05:47

Foreign holdings of US debt hit record high

Foreign holdings of US debt hit record high; China ups holdings after 2 declines   

By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer | Associated Press – Fri, Jun 15, 2012 11:35 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Foreign demand for U.S. Treasury securities rose to a record high in April. China, the largest buyer of Treasury debt, increased its holdings slightly after trimming them for two straight months.

The Treasury Department said Friday that total foreign holdings rose 0.4 percent to $5.16 trillion. It was the fourth consecutive monthly increase.

Demand for U.S. debt is rising largely because investors are worried about Europe's worsening debt crisis. U.S. government debt is considered one of the safest investments.

China boosted its holdings 0.1 percent to $1.15 trillion in April. That followed a 1 percent drop in March and a 0.9 percent decline in February. March's figures were revised down from the government's initial estimate a month ago that China had boosted its holdings in March.

Japan, the second-largest buyer of Treasury debt, trimmed its holdings 0.9 percent to $1.07 trillion. Brazil, the third-largest buyer of Treasury debt, boosted its holdings 5.3 percent to $246.7 billion.

Britain increased its holdings 26.5 percent to $154.2 billion while France increased its holdings by 29.4 percent to $59.4 billion. Germany, the largest economy in Europe, boosted its holdings ofTreasury securities 1.5 percent to $65.6 billion.

Demand for Treasury securities has remained strong despite the first-ever downgrade of the government's debt last August. Standard & Poor's lowered its rating on long-term Treasury debt one notch from AAA to AA+ following a prolonged debate in Congress over increasing the nation's borrowing limit.

Last week, S&P reaffirmed that rating and said it was keeping a negative outlook on the rating for the future. S&P said U.S. political leaders were not addressing the federal debt burden. The rating agency predicted that the government's debt, as a percent of the economy, would rise from 77 percent in 2011 to 83 percent this year and 87 percent by 2016.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 13:46:33 |Display all floors
China also bought over 100 tons of gold in the last few months, as a hedge against the collapse of euro and $U.S.

WHEN the U.S. economy finally implodes under its growing debt burden, it will need to figure out a way to repay its OS debts, with China first in line.

A war with China, of course, will obviate the need to repay.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 18:36:52 |Display all floors
baofeng Post time: 2012-6-17 12:46
China also bought over 100 tons of gold in the last few months, as a hedge against the collapse of e ...
A war with China, of course, will obviate the need to repay.

You can't have put it any better!  
FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-22 11:10:39 |Display all floors

RE: Foreign holdings of US debt hit record high

'US Hides Real Debt, In Worse Shape Than Greece' - Economic / Economy Collap

Published on 15 Feb 2013
debt crisis 2013, 2013, 2012, 2014, economy 2013 predicitions, economy 2013, 2013 economy, gold 2013, silver 2013, silver 2013 predictions, collapse, dollar, market, financial, government, economic, economy, economy 2013 forecast, prediction, outlook, economy 2014, outlook, crisis, where to invest in 2013, 2013 crisis, global, world, economical, dollar, money, world, new, jim rogers, peter schiff, marc faber, ron paul, money, forecast, war, 2011, china 2013, euro,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W2Fmt2FBctQ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-22 12:07:48 |Display all floors
baofeng Post time: 2012-6-17 13:46
China also bought over 100 tons of gold in the last few months, as a hedge against the collapse of e ...

Gold is doing worse than US $, .......doing very badly in fact.

Gold buyers just lost more money.

Found another way to lose more money.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-22 12:10:13 |Display all floors
Speculators on gold has been burnt.

Hedge funds felt cheated and many have changed their minds.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.