Author: cd_moderator

Editorial: Picture of hate is false   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-1 21:48:38 |Display all floors
firstcause Post time: 2012-6-1 19:29
Of course we know there are a huge numer of paedophiles from the UK (and also from the US and Austra ...

Actually, lost cause, in my country, any men/person who engages in such practices are liable to a prison sentence.
Not everyone thinks as you do, and we see injustice as punishable!

Save your superlative negativity, it wins you no points, moron!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-1 23:56:42 |Display all floors
Chegsyboy Post time: 2012-5-31 16:05
I don't know any foreigners who burn their passports and deny their nationality when confronted by C ...

I'do it. I would love to flee my poor fatherland Germany and enjoy China's welfare system.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-2 01:02:15 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2012-6-1 18:57
Thank you for the compliment. I don't generally delve into USA stuff on this Forum. I'm here for t ...

Thank you indeed, in the big picture there will always be a ‘line in the sand’ for something, and I find myself in agreement without reservation for your first ideas regarding mass media and manipulation. Beijing definitely censors for its own reasons as with Washington, but here I differ from you in that I DO think western type media are irresponsible. They are profit based and are forced in some ways to expound into areas which can be termed as ‘sensationalistic’. You only have to look at the numerous law suits against media in countries such as the USA and Europe to know that some media push the bounds to make money in any way they can, and in reality a country like China is a good target because it does not fight back and refute the claims made, and back it up with legal actions for slander. China is like a dullard in this respect in that it issues its own single version and then nothing more. The ongoing silence from Beijing is taken to show this single announcement is a lie and the truth is expounded and expanded by media until the reality is almost unrecognizable. Should one blame the media because they make money from this and in the process actually distort the reality? Not really.  I would say their basic interests are in pecuniary matters first, and the truth a secondary consideration, and here one would have to place the blame firmly on Beijing and its naivety with the world and its dynamics, a word used earlier by your good self. I will move onto that idea a little further on.

Interestingly enough in your paragraph three you mention Jackie Chan and its has not gone unnoticed by myself that the Chinese Nobel Peace Prize winner who currently resides at Beijing’s ‘pleasure’ for a number of years is allegedly quoted as stating that “China needed 300 years of colonization from Britain before it would be ready for democracy” and I actually did chuckle a little at the reminder of that. That said, I do wonder in the modern world whether ‘forced’ democracy is a good thing. For China it purportedly has 56 ethnicities, and I wonder how that would pan out if the system were to crash overnight as desired by some and if indeed that would not prove to be disastrous to all the people of China. If we look at most of the traditional successful democracies of the world they were all homogenous in their ethnic make-up when they became democratic, and where they were not such as Britain it involved hundreds of years of fighting to subjugate Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Something modern democracies are denied. In the case of the US, a disparate mix of immigrants bound together to fight off the British and in that effort became a recognized homogeneous grouping of ‘whites’ or as they referred to themselves ‘Anglos’. Only the Blacks, Mexicans and N.A. Indians remained as sub-part of the US, but not its democracy until the later years. Examples of forced democracy are African countries and the Balkans where ethnic and religious tensions pervade the very idea of democracy to the point of failure, and now there are these new forced democracies in the Middle East which will suffer many a turn before the politic gets any kind of peace or stability. The Chinese system must at some time change to suit the whims of the ‘mouth-piece US’ of human rights (in name only), but it must also remember that ethnic and religious tensions in a ‘knee-jerk’ to democracy could fold the whole system of China. Maybe they already know that, or as some insinuate here the government officials are just holding power for themselves no matter what. Whatever the answer it is not a simple one and needs thought and care, especially if one believes in the value of human life.

Re: 89. I am in total agreement again here, and initially it was about the resentment and inequality of the system that the workforce was rebelling against. It only later became a spun-myth about democracy to suit another agenda replete with students. Within all the documents on this event it can be seen that the movement failed because there was no common agenda, only a mish-mash of many ideals and grievances. Of course the western media have again simplified this to suit another agenda and the IQ of their readers.

Re: Censorship. As normal people do, when things are getting better people do not take the time to question but rather ‘make hay while the sun shines’. Revolutionaries are bred from disadvantage, suffering and hunger as it brings into perspective the most important thing in life which is seemingly ‘survival’. This related well to your next idea about the unspoken ‘contract after 89. I have read quite a lot about this idea as to how the government of China realized that in order to avoid another ‘89’, it had to make a surreal world of ‘more and better’ and to some extent it had succeeded massively in doing this. However, the downturn in demand from the near bankrupt US and Europe may well put that in jeopardy unless this new found wealth can be turned inward. If any of that is lacking I believe that the Chinese populace will judge the government harshly as many Chinese have huge ambitions for themselves and their offspring and only too rightly. Should a massive downturn happen I believe that China could become very unstable unless it has in place a system which is commensurate to the situation and the first part of that is ‘accountability’. Here I would like to go back to the idea of the Chinese government being naïve which I mentioned earlier.

I do not think that the ‘one-party’ system is a fail. What I do believe is that they lack certain tools. The first of those would be an independent judiciary to keep the members of that one party accountable, and maybe even that judiciary should be formed by a basic democratic vote of the people in different regional representatives.  Secondly, the Party should have its own ‘spin doctors’ to deal with certain items and individuals before they become martyrs of the western press. A simple system where a conflagration arises and government seniors are on hand to ease the situation, liaise and be available to answer questions from those who feel the answers should be readily available. I do not think that China is basically bad, but rather it has not mastered management control procedure in all departments. This may well a legacy from earlier times where real thinkers were discouraged because it was known as ‘reactionary thinking’ to out boss the boss. China is definitely doing very well, but it needs a ‘think tank’ in order to discuss and evaluate why it faces flaring fires which need never to have been flares in the first place. Good luck to China, and thank you for the illuminating discussion, and of course may the force be with you on the VPN and satellite TV.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-2 02:22:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wowzers at 2012-6-2 03:26
adolphus Post time: 2012-6-2 01:02
Thank you indeed, in the big picture there will always be a ‘line in the sand’ for something, an ...

I didn't explain myself clearly. I agree that the western media is at times irresponsible. Some more clearly, as in the case of most tabloids versus most broadsheets. And none of them are free of bias. The worst go witch hunting for ratings and China is increasingly playing the role of the villain in this scenario. Success makes you a target. The Yellow Peril. Meaning the PRC is getting more ink. Bad and good. That's the news game. Rumor. Gossip. Inuendo. Controversy. Us vs Them. That's what gets the ratings and the ad revenues. More bad than good. Sad but true.

It is with your summation that I take issue, "As a summation I would say that if the western media and its actions were more professional and independent from US foreign policy, then the need to censor so much in China would maybe less and more in line with the amount of censorship already in the west."

It seems to me that Beijing really does not care that much about world opinion. And by extension neither do the Chinese people. They do care about looking good in the eyes of the world, most nation's people feel the same way. Beijing cares about and focuses mostly on censoring internal stuff. It's what the people see and hear other Chinese speaking (And iin Chinese) on any given issue that is the real concern. Your average Chinese doesn't really care or understand what foreigners or foreign media has to say. If it's negative, it's just the Yanks being the Yanks, the French being the French and oh yeah, the Japanese being the Japanese.

The real need for censorship is to control what Chinese people are saying about Beijing and especially opinion leaders (Like the rebels from the Arts & Academia) who refuse to toe the Party line. Because The Party is the party, the real focus is on any news related to anyone associated with Beijing. The censoring of Western media follows what is already being filtered in China. It really plays a small role in what is actually being deleted.

Even if the western media was miraculously transformed overnight into Jia You Cheerleaders for Zhongnanhai and free from US Foreign Policy, they would still be censored. Government missteps and government officials gone bad news that routinely plays in western media would get banned here. Don't shoot the messenger. The New York Times routinely features 'sensitive' China stuff, it's not banned. (Although an article I posted recently on Ai Weiwei from the Times in the Free Ai Weiwei thread didn't make the cut here on CD and wasn't released from the filter.)

I've put myself up before as a candidate here on CD for Beijing Spin Doctor, I have yet to receive a call or a knock on the door.  But seriously, I whole-heartedly support a 'think tank' and I would love to get in on it. And I look forward to further discussions on this if you're up for it. It deserves its own thread. I welcome you to post it. Good night, it's late and I am tired. Cheers for the conversatin'.

Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-2 03:08:56 |Display all floors
firstcause Post time: 2012-6-1 20:29
Of course we know there are a huge numer of paedophiles from the UK (and also from the US and Austra ...

What else gwei.los good at besides being robbers, Rapists & Gays???

BRITS dumped such criminals to Aussie land years ago & see how they breed escapees to other countries
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-6-2 10:07:18 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2012-5-31 23:56
Of course you'd be somewhere down below those two groups. If you had lived here for some time then  ...

Ill informed in your world means someone who doesn't buy all the stuff you buy.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-6-2 10:08:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-1 01:02
Madam China was never known to make so many intemperate communiques about her "foreign guests" in  ...

Can anyone make any sense of this post?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.