Views: 10980|Replies: 41

Don't rush to conclusion of Syrian killing   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-28 16:25:43 |Display all floors
Global Times | May 28, 2012 00:50

The massacre in Syria that killed 92 people including 32 children last Friday showed how messy the country's internal order has become. The UN strongly condemned the carnage, but has not declared who was responsible. The Syrian government accused terrorists of the killing, while the opposition and the West have blamed the Syrian government.

The killing of civilians is an act of brutality against humanitarianism. We urge the UN to declare the culprit soon. We believe only the claim of the UN is authoritative. Syria's government, opposition forces and the West are all interested parties and their claims should not be regarded as impartial.

The UN should not ignore the Syrian government's argument. For them, there is no incentive in scoring points from this tragedy. On the contrary, forces that are at odds with Bashar's regime can extend their claims on the issue.

The merciless killing highlights the chaos and disorder in Syria, as well as the uncertainty of its future. Bashar's government is still holding onto power, but opposition parties are gaining more influence.

Now, a third party independent from the government and opposition is emerging, in addition to growing influence from Lebanon. Syria is engulfed in tangled warfare.

The country badly needs to restore order, but chaos is encouraged by external influences, particularly the West. To them, toppling Bashar's regime is a precondition to ending Syria's unrest, but this request defies the local reality. Pushing it can only exacerbate the suffering of civilians. The West is actually exhausting Bashar by fostering the opposition. It is a disastrous strategy from a humanitarian angle.

The West has concluded that the Syrian government was behind the tragedy last Friday. It obviously does not plan to be fair over the issue.

The West is adept at using humanitarianism as an excuse to pursue its real political and economic motives. From the former Yugoslavia to the Middle East, this tactic has been repeatedly adopted by stoking political tension first, then launching a military offensive to oust a targeted politician or regime under the guise of a "humanitarian" intervention.

The killing may be used as an excuse for the West to further intervene in Syria. China and Russia should closely watch the UN investigation and reactions of interested parties. They must firmly oppose the hysterical escalation of interventionism.

Washington has its global plan in dealing with the Syrian crisis. It aims to isolate Iran and dampen the influence of Russia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-28 21:50:23 |Display all floors
that dictator lasted a bit longer than expected...thanks to support from Russia, China.

but swimming upstream, it will not last................................................
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-28 22:50:04 |Display all floors
One thing which is patently obvious is that just like Libya only the government forces commit atrocity which is immediately reported in the press and even more instantly condemned by the UK and France etc. These are countries which believe in 'innocent until guilty' judicial systems yet persitantly take sides. One has to assume that there ia a one sided agenda based on the sheer naivety of this ridiculous process, and other way to determine this strategy is if the bodies of children are shown. Libya = check, Syria = check, Falujah = no.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-29 00:49:09 |Display all floors
Of course there is an agenda.  Syria is targeted in order to break the arch of support that runs from Iran to Lebanon  where Hezbollah sits surveying Israels back.

Israel is nervous about attacking Iran as long as Hezbollah is armed and ready to spring to Irans aid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-29 00:50:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Chechen at 2012-5-29 00:50
seneca Post time: 2012-5-28 21:25
Another piece of masterly PR prose from Global Times.

It has driven another nail in its coffin.

Whats wrong with the article Snake?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-29 03:27:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-5-29 03:29

Haishiwo, here you have it ...

UN Council slates Syria for killing unarmed protesters

The United Nations Security Council in an emergency session on Sunday unanimously condemned Syria for heavy weapon attack on unarmed protesters in which more 108 people including 34 women and 49 children were killed on Friday.
The non-binding resolution was supported by Russia, Asad's trusted ally.

The Council rebuked Asad for using artillery and tank. There is a clear government footprint in the killings, the German envoy said. The Council condemned the killing from close range.

Asad as usual blamed the terrorists for all the killings. The Gulf Cooperation Council accused Asad for using excessive force and urged the international community to assume responsibility to stop daily bloodshed in Syria.

The European Union (EU) described the situation as heinous and it could amount to war crime. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) requested for an emergency meeting of Arab League. France said it would convene a "Friends of Syria" to see Asad removed.

The UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan will brief the Security Council on Wednesday. The UN Human Rights officials in Geneva said indiscriminate and deliberate killings of civilians amounts to crimes against humanity.

The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon asserted that the Council has acted firmly. Ban said there are evidence of appalling and brutal crimes.

It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-29 03:40:32 |Display all floors
29042012 Post time: 2012-5-29 03:27
Haishiwo, here you have it ...

UN Council slates Syria for killing unarmed protesters

29 April 2012 is a good day.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.