Views: 31279|Replies: 173

Editorial: Foreigners are still welcome   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-26 11:41:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cd_moderator at 2012-5-26 11:42

( China Daily)

Just as some in the West have wondered why most people here didn't share their obsession with Chen Guangcheng, some people here have difficulty understanding the latest allegation that we are xenophobic.
Of course we feel wronged. We are anything but.

There are even some who feel that we have been friendlier to foreigners than to our own citizens.

If a few foreigners feel mistreated in China and conclude that we hate foreigners, or a few Chinese people feel that foreigners enjoy preferential treatment, it is only natural in a country with such diversity.

But when foreign media amplify such sentiments out of all proportion it is different, as normal public indignation at some foreign individuals' misconduct is transformed into a "deep-rooted nationalistic hatred" for foreigners, and a routine crackdown against illegal immigration is castigated for being a crusade against all foreigners.

It is true the distasteful conduct of a couple of foreign nationals toward two Chinese women has provoked angry comments on the Web. And true, a nationwide action launched before the incident is still underway to clamp down on people who have entered the country illegally. But such occurrences are not unique to this country.

What is not true is the expat community in China is living in fear, as some overseas reports seem to suggest.

You would think that for those to whom the words "freedom of speech" come so readily to their lips would be tolerant of others' words, even if those words seem less than friendly to their ears. But instead it seems such utterances are enough to incriminate the entire nation.

It is natural to criticize anyone who ignores basic social decencies and to prosecute someone who breaks the law.

And those countries accusing China of xenophobia for tackling illegal immigration should cast the beams out of their own eyes first as their immigration policies are a great deal harsher and stricter than ours.
Foreign nationals in China have nothing to fear as long as they have valid visas and do not break the law. Instead of receiving hostility or a cold shoulder as their home media try to suggest, they will continue to be treated as welcome guests.

China is not xenophobic, nor will it be because it aspires for more exchanges with others. Perhaps the overseas media's portrayals of China's hatred are really just a manifestation of their own xenophobia.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2012-05/25/content_15384118.htm

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-26 22:16:33 |Display all floors
What is not true is the expat community in China is living in fear, as some overseas reports seem to suggest.

Well, by some, the editor must really mean super few. I only have read one article about the crackdown in the New York Times, European media don't really give a crap.

Also, I'm not a journalist, I live in China, and I do feel this "routine" crackdown to be xenophobic. Do I have the right to or is Freedom of Speech just an argument used against western media ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-26 23:34:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-5-26 14:40
...but the Party has racist and lots of xenophobic reflexes and it carries them into the national  ...

The same party that allows you to live and continuously complaining here?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-5-27 12:50:01 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-5-25 22:38
You have a very prominent credibility problem:

I know how it pains you to read something more that cute little stories of fiction so I did a little of your homework for you.
This is just a small sampling of the anti China rhetoric that goes on daily in the west.

But you knew all about these types of articles anyway... didn't you.
That's where you get most of your anti China propaganda from.. right?
Right..

If you can read the articles below you can look into the eyes of hate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Five major threats to the U.S., our allies and our interests
Human Events (a right wing publication in the USA) by Danielle Pletka
05/25/2012

China: China’s rise has been a phenomenon remarkable in human history, elevating hundreds of millions out of lives of
poverty and thrusting China’s leading business lights onto the international economic stage.  But the money that has
flowed as a result of China’s rise has been used for more than poverty alleviation; China’s military budget has
increased by double digit percentage rates each year for the last twenty.  The People’s Republic, still dominated
ruthlessly by the Chinese Communist Party, has branched out into the blue water in a big way, with an aircraft
carrier, a new class of nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines, and an anti-ship ballistic missile in its arsenal.

China represents sufficient a challenge to the United States that the Obama administration has executed what it
describes as a “pivot” away from the Middle East toward Asia.  But that “pivot” exists in name alone; in fact,
the U.S. has too few assets to rebalance power in the region and, if defense spending continues to drop, there will
be even fewer ships and planes to match up with the growing Chinese arsenal. There are those who believe that China’s
economic rise will constrain its strategic ambitions; others are persuaded that the mainland’s growing riches will
simply finance the domination of the Pacific.  Follow the dollars and the latter appears demonstrably to be the case.

Cyber: The threat of cyber warfare is a favored 21st century topic.  The Obama administration has stood up a military
cybercommand to address the problem; the military, the intelligence community and the government overall is throwing
billions into cyber defense.  The threat is not just to the many systems that depend upon an enormous and vulnerable
cyber infrastructure.   Less ballyhooed, but potentially devastating nonetheless is the threat to industry, not simply
in the protection of intellectual property but in the basic functioning of the modern economy.  Russia and China, as
well as North Korea are investing heavily in cyberwarfare capabilities.

Space: How much of our national defense is now dependent on space?  On the satellites that orbit, that stream
information, that manage flights, that vector weapons, that facilitate missile defense, that manage the Global
Positioning System that gets everyone from grandma to the 82nd Airborne from here to there.  How vulnerable are our
assets in space?  In 2007, the PRC tested an anti-satellite weapon, reportedly its third, but first successful test
of such a weapon.  China and others may already have the ability to disable certain satellite functions with
sophisticated laser technology.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Huntsman and fear of China – ‘the new expat message’?
January 11, 2012 -- transpacifica

When Huntsman says, “America First” he means “and not China”.

His message is that he’s seen what can happen if the global status quo doesn’t shift – and that this is scary to the US.
Moreover, he’s in a position to do something about it.  He has seen the enemy – or at least the rival – and it’s China.

This is the new expat message.  In the 2000s,  China pros said “I can open that China opportunity”.
In the coming decade, their  line will be, “I can help you keep the Chinese at bay.”

I don’t have time to evaluate this, but such a shift would be interesting, if unsettling. My initial sense is that
there have always been “China experts” who said they would defend the United States and others “against” China.
The difference now may be that those people are being drawn from the ranks of individuals who actually speak Chinese
and have actually been there.

This kind of stance is only possible if you have a very dark strategic view or if you never spent enough time speaking
with people to lose the fear narrative. Expat enclaves can only encourage this us–them viewpoint.

Bloomberg Businessweek
The Associated Press May 22, 2012
Foreigner-bashing rises amid China's domestic woes

By GILLIAN WONG

BEIJING

First, videos of rude foreigners went viral in Chinese cyberspace, then a Beijing police crackdown on visitors
without valid visas drew fervent applause, and finally, a state TV host urged his countrymen to toss out the
"foreign trash."

The latest anti-foreigner stirring in China has put the spotlight on outsiders at a time when its leaders would welcome
any distraction from the slowing economy, a high-level political scandal and a blind activist's daring flight into U.S.
custody.

The government also has exchanged bellicose rhetoric with the Philippines in a standoff over remote islands while
state-run newspapers have attacked the American ambassador over the U.S. involvement in the case of activist Chen
Guangcheng.

China's leaders and official media frequently blame foreigners for domestic woes, tapping into a nationalism fed by
steady reminders of affronts at the hands of foreigners over the past two centuries.

In China, foreigner-bashing brings backlash

By Keith B. Richburg, Published: May 25

BEIJING — Faced with political turmoil at the top, a slowing economy, and a young and wired population restless for
change, China’s Communist rulers appear to have dusted off a time-tested tactic: blaming foreigners for the country’s
problems.

This time, however, the technique does not seem to be working as well as it used to. Judging from a torrent of online
criticism, it may even have backfired.

In mid-May — as blind legal rights activist Chen Guangcheng was garnering worldwide headlines for his escape from house
arrest to the U.S. Embassy and his bid to travel to the United States — Beijing’s Public Security Bureau announced a
100-day crackdown on foreigners staying illegally in the city. Beijing is home to about 120,000 foreigners.

The campaign was announced just days after a May 8 incident, caught on video, in which an apparently inebriated British
man attempted to assault a young Chinese woman and was then set upon and beaten by several Chinese men passing by.

Since then, official media and popular Chinese Web sites have been filled with accounts or depictions of similar
incidents, most of which have drawn comments denouncing the foreigners’ bad behavior.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 13:15:24 |Display all floors
Reflect action is to blame foreigners.

After that, it is regret and corrective action.

Nothing new here"..............hahahaha.

There is no hope for change of officialdom or media.

China's greatest hope is with the NGOs.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 13:33:37 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-5-27 13:25
So transparent and so naive. Nobody wants anything to do with those NGO spy agencies.
They are non ...

Why Cd even  have article that  says,......foreigners are still welcomed?        

should they just say....fcuk off?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 13:36:02 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-5-27 13:25
So transparent and so naive. Nobody wants anything to do with those NGO spy agencies.
They are non ...

So scared of NGO?

I wonder why, robber Roberts.......

Eunuchs scared eunuch lose control?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.